Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Schedule for a nursing toddler going back to DC

Default Schedule for a nursing toddler going back to DC

Hi all,
    I'm hoping you working momma's with toddlers can help me out. My lo will be 14 mo. when I go back to work in August. I'm a teacher so she has spent the summer home with me. I worked full time and pumped for a year. I'm done pumping, but not done nursing. I'm not sure what her schedule should look like when she goes back. I'm also not sure what to use in place of her daytime nursing sessions. Like I said, I won't be pumping and my freezer supply is gone. Here's her current summer schedule:

5:30 a.m. nurse - go back to sleep

7:30-8 nurse - eat breakfast (protein and fruit)

11:30 nurse just a tiny bit (she could prob. drop this one)

11:45 lunch (protein and fruit)

12:15-12:30 nurse a little bit and nap

12:30-3:30 nap

3:30 nurse and then snack (fruit and some kind of grain)

5:30 I usually try to nurse her before dinner, but she never likes to...

6:00 dinner (protein and veggie)

7:30 nurse a little before bed

10:30-11 nurse - we don't co-sleep

Any thoughts would be VERY helpful. I would like to nurse her before and after dc but there isn't anywhere in the bldg to nurse a toddler. I'm not sure if and she should have a bottle of milk while gone from me. She's not that great with sippy cups yet...doesn't drink much water during the day.
    Any ideas????

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Schedule for a nursing toddler going back to DC

She doesn't need cow milk during the day - but does need fluids. How is she with a straw cup? My DS never liked a "traditional" sippy cup but would drink from a straw cup or a soft sippy like the nuby ones.

Have you asked the dcp teachers about a place to nurse? My DS nursed at preschool at pick-up until a little older than that. I'd sit with him in the classroom in a big comfy chair. The teachers knew what we were doing and didn't care. I don't know if any of the other parents ever noticed. If they did I never got any negative comments.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

At your DD's age, she can go all day without nursing, and the two of you can just nurse when you are together (mornings/evenings/weekends.) When my DD was that age, she would drink cow's milk at daycare just fine, but still nurse when we were together. Even though your DD doesn't drink from a sippy all that well yet, you will be SURPRISED at how well she will pick it up when she sees all the other kids drinking from their sippy cups. At 13.5 months, when my DD moved up to the pre-toddler room (where no bottles are allowed), I was frantic because she still seemed pretty dependent on her daytime bottles, and wasn't drinking milk from a sippy all that well (but would CHUG water from them.) Within the first week, she was drinking cow's milk from a sippy like a champ, and hasn't looked back.

If I were you, I would just keep working on a sippy cup with her, even if it's just water for now. She will pick it up in no-time once she goes back to daycare. Since you say there's no place to nurse in the building, if you feel like you need to nurse her just before dropping her off, could you do it in the car? Perhaps sit in the back seat (where you have more room) and nurse?

Sorry I'm kinda rambling... hope this helps!!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

So, if she just drinks water all day with her food she'll be ok?

We haven't tried a straw cup, yet. Can I find something like that at Walmart?

I am concerned about finding a place to nurse. She is very distracted and the rooms are quite small. She only nurses "well" a couple of times a day (excluding night time nursing) and needs a very quiet/non-distracted room.

The car might work. I am also bringing my 2.5 year old with me to the same dc for drop off????

I am quite concerned that she might refuse to nurse when I pick her up. If she's only nursing one time at night and a couple of times in the morning is that ok for 14 mo? Maybe she's just going through a distracted stage and will pick up more nursing sessions as we go along...

Thanks for your thoughts/encouragement.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

So, if she just drinks water all day with her food she'll be ok?
    Yep, she'll be just fine drinking water, eating food, and not having breastmilk during the day. I am assuming that she will be offered milk or juice too? I know at my DD's daycare (a LARGE center), the kids are offered milk with breakfast and lunch, and then juice or water with afternoon snack.

We haven't tried a straw cup, yet. Can I find something like that at Walmart?
    Absolutely. You can find them just about anywhere, Target, Walmart, etc. To be honest, though, at my DD's daycare, they use the super simple, cheapie plain plastic spout sippie cups... no valve in them or anything, and the kids drink just fine out of them.

I am concerned about finding a place to nurse. She is very distracted and the rooms are quite small. She only nurses "well" a couple of times a day (excluding night time nursing) and needs a very quiet/non-distracted room.

The car might work. I am also bringing my 2.5 year old with me to the same dc for drop off????
    If she won't nurse when you pick her up, can you just nurse her as soon as you get home? Then you could nurse her again after dinner, just before bedtime too.

I am quite concerned that she might refuse to nurse when I pick her up. If she's only nursing one time at night and a couple of times in the morning is that ok for 14 mo? Maybe she's just going through a distracted stage and will pick up more nursing sessions as we go along...
    At 14 months, I was nursing my DD about 3-4 times per day. She was doing morning, bedtime, naptime (on weekends), and sometimes 1 other random nursing session during the day (like the random middle-of-the-night waking, but usually just the 3 main sessions.) My DD was also eating solids VERY well at that age, and would drink water and milk from a sippy cup, so she was getting plenty of nutrition from elsewhere.

Try not to worry mama!! I'm sure your LO will be just fine during the day without nursing.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Even though your DD doesn't drink from a sippy all that well yet, you will be SURPRISED at how well she will pick it up when she sees all the other kids drinking from their sippy cups. At 13.5 months, when my DD moved up to the pre-toddler room (where no bottles are allowed), I was frantic because she still seemed pretty dependent on her daytime bottles, and wasn't drinking milk from a sippy all that well (but would CHUG water from them.) Within the first week, she was drinking cow's milk from a sippy like a champ, and hasn't looked back.

If I were you, I would just keep working on a sippy cup with her, even if it's just water for now. She will pick it up in no-time once she goes back to daycare.
    DS is 14 months and is not really good with a sippy cup. We have been trying since he was about 11 months old. We have tried them all (sippy/straw/valve/no-valve etc etc) and while he can get about 1oz out of one (as long as there is no valve) that is it. After that he either throws it away (and will not go back to it) or "makes it rain".

Watching other kids in DC hasn't helped. They had to move DS to the toddler room (at least part time) as he was bored and trying to "play" with the babies. He is the only one there with bottles. He does get two during a day. They also offer milk, water and watered juice. He drinks what he feels like. You can put other thing in bottles if you need to but keep on trying,you have some time.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thanks again for the replies. I'm going to Walmart today to find a sippy with a straw. She's doing well with the nubbies and hopefully when she's REALLY thirsty and needs it, she'll use it more.

I'm just nervous that either she won't drink enough water and/or she'll stop wanting to nurse...but I am trying not to stress too much!

Thanks for the thoughts

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months