Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juggling work and breastfeeding

Default Juggling work and breastfeeding

How do you do it? Juggle going to a 9-5 job and still manage to breastfeed??? Can anyone PLEASE give me a run-down of your daily schedule...do you pump? If so, when? About how much milk on average is there from 1 pump? Do you ever supplement formula? I feel like my LO eats very often throughout the day and I worry that he won't have enough milk when I go back to work...Thanks in advance for any replies

Default Re: Juggling work and breastfeeding

Hello! It's not that hard, I promise! I have been doing it for over 6 months. My son is 8 months old and he soley breastfeeds (NO BOTTLE) - switch nursing. I'm gone from him for about 10 hrs a day. Here is my schedule, starting when I get home (just easier that way)...
    4pm to 10 pm - He nurses on demand, sometimes every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs
    He sleeps with me and nurses on demand all night... usually 3-4 times
    5:00-5:30am - I make sure to nurse him before I get out of bed
    *if he doesn't nurse for very long, I would pump on my way to work, but this doesn't happen very often*
    9am - Pump at work for about 15 mins (I have a medela advance double pump and it doesn't take that long to pump and I get about 5-8 ozs)
    1pm - Same as above
    Then we start all over!!

I will tell you, when I went back to work I pumped three times a day until I felt comfortable that I was making enough milk. You'll get into a routine... But I have recently donated 200 ozs of my milk to Mother's Milk because my son only drinks about 5 ozs a day out of a sippy cup (and has been doing that since he was 3 months old!), so that's why I nurse him so much. But I would not change it one bit!! I love it and it's truly amazing what babies will do to be close to their mommy's even if they're gone for most of the day!! If you need anything, just message me and I would be more than happy to answer any questions.

Good luck and take care!!

ITA with the previous poster: it can be done! I went back to work when DD was 10 months old and not eating any solids at all. I FREAKED out because I thought she'd starve at daycare. She eventually started eating solids, but there were a few days where she only got Cheerios, a few bites of banana and 5 oz. of EBM in a sippy cup. She was on strike, thankyouverymuch, and she wasn't shy about how unhappy she was!

Anyhow, here's our daily schedule:

6:00 a.m. get up, eat a good breakfast, do hair&makeup, put on clothing previously put out and check bag to make sure all is there (lunch has been previously made and packed with bottle of EBM to take to daycare)

7:00 a.m. get DD up, changed, dressed and ready to go.

7:30 a.m. get out the door...take subway to daycare.

7:55 a.m. arrive at daycare. Play with DD a bit, nurse her right before I leave

8:15 a.m. leave daycare for work

8:45 a.m. start working

1:30 p.m. PUMP while having lunch (I sit in the infirmary at work!)

4:45 p.m. leave work for daycare

5:00 p.m. arrive at daycare and NURSE right away. Leave to go home

5:40 p.m. Arrive at home...get dinner started or warming up, play with DD.

6:00 p.m. NURSE...boil water to scald milk (I have high lipase!)

6:30 p.m. Eat dinner while feeding DD chunks of food.

7:00 p.m. clean up a bit, make lunch, pack bag and put out clothing

7:30 p.m. give DD a bath

8:00-8:30 p.m. play with DD until she gets tired. NURSE to sleep.

8:30-9:00 p.m. put DD down on her mattress...shower, watch tv or read a bit before going to bed (have a bit of grownup time with DH!)

9:30 p.m. bedtime for mama

11:30 p.m. DD wakes up to nurse...

3:00 a.m. DD wakes up to nurse

5:00 a.m. DD sometimes wakes to nurse but just a bit.

Rinse, lather, repeat

We're basically reverse-cycling, so I don't pump a whole lot during the day...maybe 25 minutes tops. I used to get anywhere from 6 to 12 oz per session when I started working, but now it's calmed way down to 4-6 oz. Also, DD is almost 1 and is starting to transition to "other milk". Her DCP mixes EBM with soy milk, and it's going very well. We've never supplemented with formula and DD never drank more than 5 oz of EBM at daycare (she just drank lots of water in a sippy and eventually took to eating fruit and veggie purees).

You can do this!!GL!

I returned to work with DS was 7 weeks -he is noe 21months, but when he was really little it went a little somethin' like this...

5:30am wake up and nurse (oh yeah we co-sleep), get ready for the day
    7:30-baby at daycare
    8:30 pump at work
    noon-pump
    3pm pump
    5pm-pick up at daycare
    5:15 pm nurse at home
    7pm nurse
    8pm nurse to sleep
    10pm always woke up to nuse again

10pm-530am various wake ups with nursing

He drank anout 12 onzes per day at daycare when he was EBF.

What specifically are you having trouble with? It seems overwhelming but very soon you'll get in a rhythem. GL Mama!

You all must be SUPER mommas!!! I can't see myself getting it all done...I worry about not being able to pump at work I teach 4th grade and only have a 20 min. lunch period and a prep period, which is usually a teachers meeting...
    When do you really sleep?! It seems like you are always doing something, even when you are co-sleeping THANKS for all your advice and the support Just hearing it from "real" moms makes me feel better

We're not super mommas-you can do it too, it will take a commitment, possible help from co-workers and time...once you're in the habit it's a no brainer and second nature. Do you have any other BF mothers at your school?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamulinka2 View Post
    You all must be SUPER mommas!!! I can't see myself getting it all done...I worry about not being able to pump at work I teach 4th grade and only have a 20 min. lunch period and a prep period, which is usually a teachers meeting...
    When do you really sleep?! It seems like you are always doing something, even when you are co-sleeping THANKS for all your advice and the support Just hearing it from "real" moms makes me feel better
    So for me, co-sleeping was not the answer. I know for a lot of people, it works great, but my DS, and by extension, my DH and I, we all sleep better if DS is in his crib about ten feet away from us. We're all pretty light sleepers, and DS was becoming more and more active, so it was hard. I love snuggling with him, and do so a ton, but for us the answer was putting my DS in a crib. Just another perspective. My schedule is this:

4:45-5:00: wake up, shower. If DS wakes, nurse, otherwise leave him sleeping
    5:15: leave for work.
    6:00: start work; if I didn't nurse before I left, I pump. I also pump if I know I'm going to have a super busy day
    9:00-11:00: pump again
    1:00-2:00: pump again
    5:00: pump again
    6-6:30: leave work
    6:30-7: home, offer to nurse, though he sometimes is uninterested
    8:00: DS goes to sleep; by this time, he often has nursed 2-3X since I've been home, and always nurses to sleep
    11 PM: nurse
    3 AM: nurse

And the day starts again. I'm lucky in that I'm not limited in production by supply issues, rather by my availability to pump. My days are long and unpredictable, and this is my best case scenario for pumping; sometimes I only pump twice.

It is hard work, and I won't miss pumping when I'm done. DS is seven months, and I'm starting to think about when I'll stop pumping, if not BFing. I'd rather avoid formula, since we've gotten so far EBF, but we'll see. Sometimes I wonder how long I can keep up this pace, but then he smiles up at me as he nurses, and I figure I can do anything that leads to that smile.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Thanks again! I will probably have 2 other BF moms at school, however, our lead administrator is not the most approachable when it comes to personal issues such as this...not sure how he would respond, however, I do understand the BF law when going back to work I tried pumping in the restroom when I was BFing my first but it was too stressful, not to mention unsanitary...I could lock myself in my classroom but sometimes Gym periods are canceled on us! I will have to speak to him instead of jumping to conclusions--who knows, he may be more supportive if all 3 of us go to him
    Thanks again fellow mommas!!!

And his wife may have done it as well. I know at my job, our male supervisor was WAY more approachable and supportive than any of the women, because his wife had been through it.

Yes, totally you can do it.......

Here is my schedule....

DD is 4 month old, and attend day care ~ 8am-4:30pm. She drink three bottles there, of 4-5 ounces. I tried to pump at work 3 times a day, pretty much when I think she drinks her bottle

..... pick up DD at 4:40pm
    Go home
    Nurse around 6-6:30 pm
    Bed for DD round 7pm
    Nurse at 3:30 am
    Nurse at 6:30 or 7 am
    Drop off DD at day care
    Pump at work at ~ 9am, 11 am and 2 pm (sometimes I go nurse her at the mid-day time)

I pump for 10-15 minutes. I too have a Medela PIS and I bought a special bra that could can put on to "attach" the piece of the pump. So I can pump.... and work. I generally work on the computer when pumping (like now) or I am on the phone !

You can do it.........