Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Magical urge to eat at 12 months??

Question Magical urge to eat at 12 months??

Hi this may be a little long..sorry. I have been reading up on some posts that have to do with babys delay in eating solids, like I for one have been somewhat lazy about trying to introduce often (LO is 9 1/2 months old btw) like 3 times a day...I would usually try in the morning and afternoon, sometimes dinner if hub and I sit down to eat together BEFORE she is asleep...that was at 6 months now it is much more spiratic, like randomly we give her a little nibble of what we're having..but honestly she isn't very interested at ALL! I have a feeling it might be right now due to her teething...because she pretty much asbolutely refuses almost anything, even the nibbles! (And she has 3 teeth on top working their way through..poor girl is in pain alot! ) A couple of months ago she would take a couple bites of pears I mashed for her but that was pretty much it..she just shows no interest. I feel like maybe I should have tried earlier than 6 months...I'm worried I delayed too long, and I know that everyone says BM is her main source of nutrition up to 1 year....but what about afterwards?? Has anyone expierenced this with their LO? I'm getting nervous! AND I just know my doc is going to give me alot of grief, I remember him telling me at her 6 month check up that by about 9 months we want her to be having 3 meals a day... So will she ever devolope an interest in big girl food? Oh dear.... Thanks
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Default Re: Magical urge to eat at 12 months??

My son didn't eat solids on any regular basis -- ie, not everyday, and never more than about a tablespoon of food on the days he did eat -- until he was 2 years old. He breastfed like a newborn, about every 1-3 hours, with occasional 4 hour breaks. Although his weight dropped off quite a bit at about 18 months, it did not become a major issue, and even though his nutrition was coming almost exclusively from breastmilk for those two years, he never showed obvious signs of nutritional imbalance.

Some babies have a really hard time eating solids through teething, and for those for whom teething lasts a long time, that can delay the inclination to eat solids for quite awhile. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless an actual medical problem seems to be resulting from the lack of solids.

If you are interested, there are also some great techniques in Chinese Medicine for stimulating appetite in children, so if it's accessible to you, you might consult with a Chinese Medicine Practitioner (preferably one who specializes in pediatrics).

Don't let people scare you into worrying about a problem that may never actually come to pass...
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Don't worry Mama, she's not going to be on breastmilk exclusively forever! . She's still young and the teeth totally throw things off. My DD didn't eat well for weeks before she cut four teeth at once!

Seriously though, lots of babies don't take off with solids until 14 or 15 months, sometimes a little longer! As long as your DD is growing and thriving you have nothing to worry about. Remember, all of that advice about solids is old school and based on a baby being weaned by a year of age.

Just keep offering and she'll decide when she's ready. Don't make food a stressful thing for either of you. Just relax and enjoy offering your little girl some healthy and fun options.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    Seriously though, lots of babies don't take off with solids until 14 or 15 months, sometimes a little longer! As long as your DD is growing and thriving you have nothing to worry about. Remember, all of that advice about solids is old school and based on a baby being weaned by a year of age.
    My kid barely ate any solid food until 14-15 months, and has always been in the 75-95th %iles for weight and height.

If you intend to wean cold-turkey on day 365 of your baby's life, then it's a good idea to make sure that the baby has a good diet of solids ahead of time. If you are comfortable nursing past a year, there's no reason to worry. According to my pediatrician, until the first birthday solids are only for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They are not nutritionally necessary. After the first birthday, solids become an increasingly important part of the baby's diet, but the transition from needing only mama's milk to needing tons of solids is a gradual one. It's not like babies go to bed on day 365 needing only milk and wake up on day 366 needing a majority-solids diet!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My baby isn't very interested in solids either. I work four days a week and pump milk for her. If she is still not eating solids by 12 months, should I continue to pump milk for her during the day, or is it ok for her to have goats or cows milk (if she will drink it) and just nurse when she is with me?

ETA: She will be 9 months old next week.

I think you need to be more diligent. IME the way to get a child interested in food and keep them interested and willing to try new things is to OFFER OFFER OFFER. By the time my son was 9months old he was eating breakfast and lunch every day. By 10 months it was all three meals and by a year my son was at 3 a day plus 2 snacks.
    Because besides food itself, you need to get your child used to the ritual and routine of meal times much the way you do bedtime.
    It's very easy to say "Don't worry about it it will happen eventually" but I don't believe that at all. If you as the mother don't do the work involved in giving your child food routines AND plenty of choices, it doesn't just happen. What happens is you end up in food ruts with a picky eater. Which is not where you want to be.
    Take the time to sit your child down in the chair and explore food. Everyday. If you haven't already started, than let it be one thing once a day so you don't feel overwhelmed. And then two things. And even if she goes to bed before you guys eat dinner, you should sit down with her once a day. Like for lunch. So she gets that she should be doing what you do. And a child not being interested is not a good reason to stop offering. There is SOO much out there in the way of food for a child of that age to explore. So what if she doesn't like somethings. Don't just offer her pears and say that's all she will eat. If she rejects banana, the next day offer her avacado, if she doesn't like that offer her watermelon, even if she DOES like that the next day offer her plums, She will like that and so what? Don't get stuck! There is sooo much more to show her! Like peaches. And celery sticks. And string cheese. And cucumbers. And refried beans. And Honey dew melon. And chicken. And blueberries.
    And when you have winners, you ADD more.
    By the time DJ was 9months old there were 3-5 things on his plate at every meal. Because the more things there are to TRY then the more they can reject and still be eating. IF you put 5 things on the plate, even if they reject 3 they are still eating two. That's GREAT EATING!!

And no. Your child will not magically want to eat at a year. The 1st 6 months are for fun and exploration to get used to solids as a way to get nutrition. Weaning should BEGIN at the year point. Meaning at the year point your child should be comfortable enough with solids for the process of some of your nursing sessions to be replaced actual food. If you aren't diligent with food before the year point, you won't be able to use it in this fashion until MUCH MUCH later. Which trust me you don't want. Because there is a growth spurt around 14months that you do NOT want to be providing for exclusively. That week my son, cleaned his plate at every meal, had 2nds of dinner and STILL wanted to nurse 12-14 times a day! I remember thinking "Thank GOD he's eating!"
    So do the work. Nutrition is sooo important. To me, it makes no sense to the work to give your child the best nutrition possible for the 1st year and then not continue to do so. It's work to feed your kids. NO doubt about it. From the beginning. And it can be scary and overwhelming. But it's soo important. And just like with breastfeeding you'll never be sorry you invested the time or energy.

Way too lazy for formula

Smile Re: Magical urge to eat at 12 months??

Djs mom-
    Thank you SO much! I really appreciate that you took the time to write out such an honest detailed response..this is really going to help me, it is what I needed to hear, and I kinda had these instincts already...I just needed it to be blatently put to me, and from someone other than my sister who formula fed her babies...she's helped me alot with questions I've had..but when it came to feedings her solution was always "Well are you sure you don't want to just try and give her formula?" And that was only because of gas she was having.. Otherwise we have had it really good! I think I am going to print your response out You had a TON of great new food offering ideas... I feel like such a dope mama for this, I'm like "Hm what can I give her??" I think it might be something with my own issues though, like OCD or something, it's weird..(also will feel better once I get my butt to a CPR class...for reassurance) but I feel like this is something we should have down better and I do feel as if it's delayed because of my laziness
    No longer..I will go back to trying "religiously" once a day for starters then go from there...thank you thank you thank you We can do this!
    And thanks to all who replied!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyofanangel View Post
    Djs mom-

No longer..I will go back to trying "religiously" once a day for starters then go from there...thank you thank you thank you We can do this!
    And thanks to all who replied!
    You are Welcome. And you are right. You CAN DO THIS. Stay focused Mama. The most important job you have is to feed the baby. That does not become any less true as they begin to eat solid foods.

Way too lazy for formula