Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pressure at work

Default pressure at work

Hi, I work 12 hours shifts as an RN at a large hospital. DD is 6 months old and thus far I EP for her due to poor latch. I was called into the manager's office a few weeks ago to tell me that I was taking too much time to pump. I began keeping my pump and millk in a different location so that he would not be able to track my pumping as easily. I was called back in yesterday and told the same thing all over again. Currently I pump every 4 hours for 15-20 minutes along with DD's feeding cycle.

Yesterday I was again called to the manager's office and was told again that I need to be available at all times for patient care. I agree that I need to be available, but I am entitled to breaks too and if I choose to pump on my breaks then I think I should be allowed to do so in peace.

I have been "invited" for another discussion on Friday. Do any of you ladies have any recommendations/ ideas?

Default Re: pressure at work

What state do you live in? MOST states it is mandated by law that a breastfeeding mother be provided time to pump. You can check your laws here. http://www.llli.org/Law/LawBills.html

The site I normally reference isn't coming up right now, but that one should have all the info you need too.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I'm sorry they are giving you a hassle.

12 hour shifts should have some break rules that go with them.

Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Do you have any co-workers that smoke? If so, I bet they are away from patients for longer than you are in any shift. If your manager keeps going on like this you should contact HR about harassment/discrimination.
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; July 16th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    Do you have any co-workers that smoke? If so, I bet they are away from patients for longer than you are in any shift. If your manager keeps going on like this you should contact HR about harassment/discrimination.

Sorry you are having to go through this.

Are you only pumping in your regular breaks or are you taking regular breaks + pumping? If only in your regular breaks then in my opinion he can't dictate you what to do, right? I'd try to ask what specifically is the issue - that your breaks are at regular times or that you are pumping.

If you are being seen as having "extra" time then you might be asked to... or might want to offer to work more to make up the "missing" time (or is there any work you can do at the same time... can you update charts and pump for example) otherwise they'll try to come up with some disciplinary action I imagine.

I would start keeping a written record though of things as they unfold while they are fresh. Date, who was there, who said what etc.

DS1 6/08/06
    DS2 5/26/09