Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: i hate bedsharing!

Default i hate bedsharing!

I am nursing my 11 month old and want to quit b/c she eats all night long. I hate it. I used to bring her into my bed around 4am when she woke up in the night. then it got earlier and earlier. now she's in her crib for like an hour before she "needs" to be fed. then she won't go back into her crib. i feel like I created a monster! she seriosly eats like 6 times a night plus every 3 hours during the day.
    I never brought my first dd in bed and enjoyed nursing her. but i am getting more and more annoyed and want to give up altogether. I get kicked all night and when she wakes up I feed her so she won't wake up our 2 yr old. I don't know how to undo this bad habbit. yes it is a bad habbit b/c it makes me not sleep and hate breastfeeding. I feel like running away!
    she also barely will eat food. I weened my first at 13months b/c I was 6 months pregnant and had no milk left. I feel like this one will never ween or at least drop a few feeds b/c I have tons of milk and it comes out so fast.

Default Re: i hate bedsharing!

I am having this same problem, which is why I find myself peeking at the boards tonight. I've had the same pattern with DS - in bed around 4am to feed him, but now it's more like 1am. The kicking and sleepless nights are awful aren't they? The point of the bedsharing is go get more sleep, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I am going to peek around the boards for advice around night weaning. I don't want to wean altogether, but I am definitely ready to be done with such horrible sleep. The moment I put DS in his crib, he starts wailing. I've read the no-cry sleep solution, and it is great... but it doesn't offer too much help for babies that freak out the moment you lay them in their crib (even if you spend like ten minutes trying to do a slow, warm, cuddly transition).

Have you looked into night weaning instead of weaning altogether? I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. It's great to know that there are others going through the same thing!

Sorry for the DP - but had to share that I found this while searching the forums:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...=night+weaning

There are some great suggestions and links in there that I'll be looking through... good luck!

The Jay Gordon method is awesome! I was also getting frustrated with my LO (he was a bit older, but same senario). I would recommend night weaning first before you decide to be done altogether, just in case you would regret anything drastic later.

The first few nights are hard, but something clicks and they really do get it.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be to not get a good night's sleep!

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

thanks for the replies. I just fell down because I want to brest feed longer. But I feel like she just chomps all night and screems unless I feed her. we have a small house with close neighbors, and she wakes up my 2 yr old. I just think she won't get it unless she's weened. has anyone ever stayed somewhere else at night so she gets the idea that there is no breast at night? I wonder if that would work. ( my poor dh.) I don't want to traumatize her.

*feel down