Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF and introducting solids.

Default BF and introducting solids.

I'm just thinking of the future here. When my oldest son was 3-4 months we introduced solids. He was on formula too..

So, i was wondering, when is it okay to give a Bfed baby solids like cereal?? stage 1 stuff??

Default Re: BF and introducting solids.

Most recommendations are to begin introducing solids at around 6 months. According to my pediatrician, until the age of 1 year, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They are not nutritionally necessary.

You don't need to start with cereal- it's fortified with vitamins and minerals but aside from that it's just plain starch, not the healthiest stuff. You can start with fruits or veggies instead. Also, many parents skip the spoon and do baby-led solids- allowing baby to self-feed soft, gummable foods.

Why Delay Solids?
    Signs of Readiness
    How Do We Get Started With Solids?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with pp

also, here is a link detailing baby led solids
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I really think this is the approach we are going to do this time we tried cereal/jar food with Gavin at the start (around 4-5 mos) he never wanted anything to do with any of it... so we just ended up waiting... I think with Brent we'll just let him decide and play it all by ear, I plan on nursing him for a good two years so this year he won't even need the solids...
    Melanie, Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to Gavin (3-16-06) and Brent Ryan (7-02-09) & Cody (2-13-98)
    (FSOT... I have feedback, just PM me )
    MGR ~ A Day in the Life~All You Need is Love~Coastal Creations~Outnumbered Momma

This is a good source of info.

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2000/WHO_NHD_00.1.pdf
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

awesome ebook ty!
    Melanie, Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to Gavin (3-16-06) and Brent Ryan (7-02-09) & Cody (2-13-98)
    (FSOT... I have feedback, just PM me )
    MGR ~ A Day in the Life~All You Need is Love~Coastal Creations~Outnumbered Momma