Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it ok for me to go to the chiropractor while BF?

Default Is it ok for me to go to the chiropractor while BF?

I've never really been a big chiropractic person but DH has been raving about his chiropractor so I have an appointment tomorrow. I can't imagine it would hurt but wanted to ask. I would like to go because I work outside the home full time and spend my workdays hunched over a computer, and always find myself hunched over looking down at DS while he's nursing. There oughtta be a name for that position since we're all in it all the time! ha
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

Default Re: Is it ok for me to go to the chiropractor while BF?

I can't imagine any reason why you couldn't see a chiropractor while BF. I know the "hunched" position well and have the knots in the back to show for it. I've been thinking of visiting a chiropractor myself....

Hope it helps you feel better!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Maybe just make sure you've nursed recently or pumped so that your boobs don't hurt while you lay on the table!

I've had several chiropractic adjustments during the last 17+ months of BF my son - and no problems. In fact, I felt better overall and that can only help with relaxation and milk production, I would think! I agree with the PP who suggested either nursing or pumping shortly before you go, just in case, and wear pads in case you get a letdown. I never did have any problems ons this front, though, but until you are comfortable, it's best to be safe!
    good luck....-linda

Chiropractic is great for overall health and maintenance of your body. So there are nothing but benefits for you. I go to one once a month and have been for the past three years and I've yet to get the brochitis that I used to be plagued with. I actually trust him more than my regular doc. They actually usually go to more schooling than MD's and a lot of it overlaps. I can't rave enough about the benefits. Totally safe for pregnancy or breastfeeding.

Going to the chiropractor has been amazing for me and my back. When my midwife and doctor told me that I was carrying a 7lb baby at 34 weeks, I knew it was only downhill for the rest of the pregnancy...he was 9lbs 5 ozs at 37weeks, 6 days. My back was aching, and the chiropractor was a God-send.

Since the birth, I've seen her at least 3 times and I love it still. Especially right after birth, everything seemed to be so out of whack (wonder why that was? ) and the adjustments have been great to also help with the nursing hunch. As I sit here at the computer I can feel the knot forming in my right shoulder blade. I can't wait til monday...I get an adjustment and then a massage. DO IT!

Also, this may sound weird, but DS has had 2 adjustments already and we saw a huge difference in him. He was acting like he might have had an ear infection. My friend (who is an MD) looked in his ears and said that there was fluid but no infection...the adjustment helped to drain the eustachian tube in his ear, and he's shown no problems since. He was a much happier baby after the adjustment.

Let us know how it goes.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

From the day my chirodoc found out I was pregnant, he started singing the praises of adjustment for LOs when it comes to ear infections and decreasing them! He had all kind of stats and figures, etc. and was really excited.... Thank goodness, that hasn't been an issue for us yet, but I'd sure consider going the chiro route to avoid needing antibiotics for DS.....Chiropractic has been wonderful for me for years.
    -linda