Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wean 10 mth but will not eat any solids

Question wean 10 mth but will not eat any solids

I have tried to give rice cereal, chunks of peaches, watermelon, pears,cheerios, breastmilk mashed potatos and veggies, baby food and he does not want any of these. My son eats every 3 hours and for 1/2 each time.It is very time consuming. That is ok but at night he goes to bed at 9 and nurses then and then wakes up at 12-1 and at 4.If i don't get him immediately out of bed and nurse him he starts screaming(like if i have to go pee and my husband gets him out of bed) and then will make him self so upset that he will scream for an hour. I don't even think he is really that hungry it is just that he wakes up and wants me to nurse him back to sleep. So I thought if I could get him to eat solids then at 1 I could wean him and get a little more sleep. Any advice
    Mother to Octavian 09/05/08 and Skyler 01/08/00
    Breastfeeding Exclusively for 5 months and still going strong.

Default Re: wean 10 mth but will not eat any solids

At 10 months if you plan on weaning then you should probably wean to a combination of formula and solid foods. Some babies aren't really ready for solids at 10 months, and in your case if you stopped nursing your baby would not get the nutrition that he needs.

With solids all you can do is offer but don't make a big deal out of it. With a 10 month old it's really for exploration and fun, and you should not have high expectations of them actually consuming a lot of it.

Have you tried any dairy products or meats? What about cheese cubes and diced up or stips of chicken or turkey? Those would be great for a 10 month old. Also, cereal like rice puffs and cheerios are fun as well. Let's see what else can you try? Tofu cubes, pasta (wagon wheels are nice at that age), crackers, toast, regular brown rice, sweet potato cubes... pretty much anything that you are eating you can try with your child. Remember they don't need a lot of teeth (or any!) to try different kinds of solids. They have very strong gums.

Keep working with the solids but don't get worked up or upset if he doesn't take them. It will only perpetuate the problem. If at the age of 1 he still won't take any solids then I would mention it to your pedi and see what they recommend.

Hang in there! You're doing your baby wonders by continuing to nurse at this stage. We're all here to support you to get you through these months. You CAN do it.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My daughter wakes up a lot (anywhere between twice and six times a night) and wants to be nursed back to sleep too. Something I heard, but have not tried, is that if you decrease the length of time that you nurse in the middle of the night that they will stop waking up expecting to eat. I am not sure if this works - especially if they only nurse for a few seconds and then fall asleep

Something else I have heard about is waking them up before the expected waking. So if he wakes up every night at midnight, try waking him up and 11:45 pm and getting him back to sleep without nursing and supposedly he will stop waking up at that time at all. I don't really understand how this works.

Good luck! I hope you get some more sleep soon

I know that night-waking is so exhausting, and I am sure you're ready to do just about anything to make it stop, but I don't think that pushing solids and trying to wean are going to solve the problem.

There have been studies showing that solids before bedtime do not reduce night-waking, and the problem with weaning is that you're not only stopping short of the recommended 1 year but also that you're throwing an incredibly valuable mothering tool out the window. (Baby bumped his head? Nurse. Shots? Nurse. Screaming on an airplane? Nurse. Teething? Nurse.)

If your baby is waking because he's hungry, solids at 1 a.m. are not going to help. You're going to have to turn on the light, feed him solids, clean him up, deal with a mess- all things that are more work than nursing and also more likely to get your baby more revved up and less willing to sleep.

But that's not to say that there's nothing you can do!!! In your shoes, I would start by reading Elizabeth Pantley's The No-Cry Sleep Solution, which is full of helpful tips to get a baby to sleep longer and more independently. If that doesn't work, I'd consider night-weaning. A lot of moms seem to have success with the Dr. Jay Gordon night-weaning method. (I did something very similar at 10.5 months and it worked wonderfully well!) You could also try feeding your baby more frequently during the day. If he is waking from hunger, frequent feeds during the day may reduce the need for them at night.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for all info. My plan was never to wean until 1. i just wanted to start solids so by the time he is 1 then I could start to wean, but without other food how can he wean and be nutritious at one year of age. I will look for the night weaning books thanks
    Mother to Octavian 09/05/08 and Skyler 01/08/00
    Breastfeeding Exclusively for 5 months and still going strong.

Glad to hear you're not thinking of weaning yet! I think you definitely hit on something that can be an issue for moms who wean at 1: if your baby isn't eating very many solids, it's very difficult to ensure that he will be well-nourished.

I intended to wean at 1, and did not in part because my baby ate almost no solids until 14-15 months of age. If I'd weaned at 1, I would have had to give her formula.

I'm VERY glad that I continued to nurse my child through her second year (and into her third). The nutritional and immunological benefits alone made it worthwhile, but the mothering benefit made nursing incredibly valuable. Toddler bumped her head? Nursing fixes it! Toddler screaming on an airplane? Nurse! Toddler screaming with her first-ever earache? Nurse!

Here are some extended nursing articles that might make you want to continue on after your baby's 1st birthday:
    When to Wean
    Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"