Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Production gone ape!

Default Production gone ape!

I've always had an issue with oversupply, but things had leveled off quite nicely over the past few weeks, and for over a month now I've been doing really well with one-sided feeding with my 10 wk old daughter.

I've been having a little bit of uncomfortable engorgement after her long stretch of sleep at night (usually 4-6 hours), but nothing that hasn't been manageable.

Today, out of nowhere, my breasts are massively, painfully engorged. Almost as bad as when my milk first came in, when I looked like one of those scary "after" plastic surgery photos, where breast implants look high, painful, and tight.

I have no idea what's going on here. My daughter did sleep 6 hours last night, and we ended up with one less feeding than usual in her daily cycle. Could just one less feeding leave me feeling like I'm about to explode?!?! Even the breast I just pumped 4+ oz out of about 3 hours ago is starting to get painful, and I usually have about 6 hours between feedings/pumpings on each breast, due to being a one-side feeder.

What's going on here? Is there some 10 week burst I don't know about?

Default Re: Production gone ape!

I'm sort of in the same boat, but only on my left side which has alway produced more. My son is almost nine weeks old and starting last week was having a hard time with my OS and OALD on the left side. I tried some block feeding to help reduce the production on the left side, but work up this morning with a painfully engorged left breast. It was awful! I didn't want to do it, but I pumped 10 oz out of it! Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Kelly1820 View Post
    I'm sort of in the same boat, but only on my left side which has alway produced more. My son is almost nine weeks old and starting last week was having a hard time with my OS and OALD on the left side. I tried some block feeding to help reduce the production on the left side, but work up this morning with a painfully engorged left breast. It was awful! I didn't want to do it, but I pumped 10 oz out of it! Ugh!
    Whoa, TEN? I have no right to complain! Did your body not get the memo that you only had one baby, and not, like, a litter?

The huz brought my wee one to nurse on my lunch break, and that really helped, but now, well over an hour before my next pumping, my other side is already starting to get REALLY uncomfortable. I wonder why this is happening! I would pump to relieve it, but I'm at work and I can't just pump whenever I want/need to. Gotta do it on my breaks. :\

I know! I've never gotten 10 oz before, so I don't know what is going on. I tried cabbage leaves today twice for 20 mins. I have not idea if that has helped or not because I've nursed both sides every time today. The right one just doesn't have enough to fill LO up. I'm nervous about tonight. I think I'll have my husband give him a bottle for the last feeding so I can pump and hopefully not get engorged again in the AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Kelly1820 View Post
    I know! I've never gotten 10 oz before, so I don't know what is going on. I tried cabbage leaves today twice for 20 mins. I have not idea if that has helped or not because I've nursed both sides every time today. The right one just doesn't have enough to fill LO up. I'm nervous about tonight. I think I'll have my husband give him a bottle for the last feeding so I can pump and hopefully not get engorged again in the AM.
    I pumped 5.5 oz out of one side yesterday and that was from a boob that felt like it was going to explode. Maybe it's because I'm a bit smaller on top, but I can't even imagine being able to hold 10 oz in one side!

The engorgement seems to be mellowing. Today was the first day in a few days when I didn't wake up with boobs that felt like bags of marbles, ugh. Of course, today was also the first day when the midge was back on her normal schedule. I guess those slight changes really do make a lot of difference.