Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping and Eating Issues

Question Sleeping and Eating Issues

I have a five month old daughter. I've been solely breastfeeding. Sometimes she gets to where she wants to play instead of eat. My mother in law said she should be sleeping through the night by now and she's not. She didn't breastfeed and thinks a bottle would help. I'm a young mom and try not to discouraged by those type of comments but it's hard. Any suggestions for the playing, the mother in law, or getting her to sleep through the night?

Default Re: Sleeping and Eating Issues

For the playing: Unfortunately this is just one of those things that babies do at a certain stage. It is adorable, but frustrating for the mama, to say the least! Have you tried a nursing necklace? That helped me some. I also like to nurse my dd with her blankie, and I use it to rub her hand or her leg--that's what she does to calm herself to sleep!

As for the mil--I don't have any great advice. A bottle of formula might help your dd to sleep longer, because it is harder to digest so it takes longer. It is not better for your lo though! Your milk is perfect for your baby.

Sleeping through the night--I hate how people seem to measure a person's parental ability by how soon their baby sleeps through the night!!! It is not your fault, you are doing nothing wrong, some babies just need to eat more at night! There are breastfed babies that sleep through the night--mine isn't one of them, but I know they exist. Have you tried the sleep solutions on www.askdrsears.com ? It might help.

Good luck--and tell you mil to butt out, its your baby (okay...maybe a little diplomacy is in order, if you can find a way to say it nicely )

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hi! Good for you on solely b/f! My DS is 5mo old, too, and very distractable- it's the age! Some people suggest the dark room, that doesn't work for us, but it might for you. I have mentioned this several times and people are probably thinking I'm strange, but it really seems to help my DS as WEIRD as it sounds- I nurse him while he lays on his back on the changing table (me leaning over him) so he can look around while nursing. I have to burp him REALLY well afterwards because he takes in a lot of air, but he loves it! I also hold up little wrist rattles, or other stuffed animals for him to look at. We also have a nursing necklace which gives him something to finger with his hands while he's nursing. At night he still lays on his boppy, but during the day, it's all changing table... my poor back (I'm 5'11"!)

Is your LO waking up "through the night" to eat a couple of times? If so, that's normal! My DS wakes up twice- usually at 1 and again at 5, to eat. Most babies our age can't go "through the night" without eating yet, I think that's pretty normal. Formula or B/F... but like PP said, it's not a measure of your performance or the quality of your milk- you're doing GREAT! It's just normal to have to nurse a couple of times in the night, keep up the good work!

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Ignore the MIL. As you said she didn't BF so she doesn't have the information to advise you. Buckling under pressure of those who discourage you will only makes things worse (I know!). You are the parent, you make the decisions, period.

As for the distracability, that's a challenging one. Recently, I've found that DS loves playing with my hair while I'm nursing him so I let it down and wave it over his face. Of course this only helps if you have long hair. I also hold his free hand sometimes and wave it a little which distract him from other distractions

Wendy - LOL I'm sorry, but I can't help picturing you nursing Aaron on the changing table! How funny!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Hi, my DS is only 3 months, but sometimes he is distractible too...I do the same as Jennifer - hold his free hand - sometimes he waves it and it distracts him enough to come off and stop eating! Holding it helps.

When people ask me about how DS sleeps or if he sleeps through the night, I say he sleeps great - even though he wakes at least a few times to eat (he always goes right back to sleep, and he sleeps with me, so I barely have to wake up - so I think that's pretty good sleep for a little baby!).

Jenny

Jennifer-

Yeah- my changing table is in front of a window, too! I have had a few times that the blinds were open before I realized what was going on- my neighbors have never said anything, and I hope they haven't seen me! It is a pretty awkward sight...

I have major sleeping issues! Every night is a rough night. Some nights he wakes up every time I put him down, some nights he's up every hour or two, and he's 10 months old. I've been sleep deprived for 10 months! I think I'm going to get evicted soon; last night the super intendant banged on the floor at 3am because the baby was loud. Help please, I have a hard enough time getting through the night now, it will only be worse if I'm homeless.

MommyNixon-

Is he crying inconsolably when you pick him up? How is he during the day? Do you know why he's crying (hungry, wet, scared, wants to be with you)? Has he been this way always? Can you co-sleep with your LO? That might help you get some more rest and prevent him from crying as much at night.

Can you legally get evicted for having a crying baby? Might want to look into your rights as a renter if you are serious about possibly getting evicted.

Also, try posting this problem as a new thread. You will get more viewers who may have some ideas for you.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I put my 5mo old down in his crib at 9-930pm and he usually gets up at 10 or 11 I just rock him back to sleep without nursing. He gets up again around 2 or 3am and I nurse him and bring him to bed with me. My first child did not sleep through the night until I stopped nursing at 21 mo. If you can handle getting up during the night then who cares what your MIL says. People will always give you opinions but you have to do what you feel works for you and your baby. Good Luck!

I was just going to advise both of you to co-sleep. My DD wakes often and she's 5 months. If they are right there at your side, you will probably wake while they are rousing and can help them to the breast before they even start to cry. The side lying position takes some work at first, but has been the only way I get sleep. I really think it is rare that a baby sleeps through the night. They are the lucky moms. I tease all the the time that my ds just starting sleeping through the night last year. He is seven now! It is hard when you are receiving criticism. My mil has been telling me to give dd cereal for two months now. I just politely tell her that she is not ready yet, over and over.

As for the distractions, if it's really bad, stop for 10 minutes or so and then try again.

Keep up the great work!