Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning and pregnancy

Default weaning and pregnancy

HOLA MOMMAS!!
    So this is my concern....my little nina (14 months) is still nursing and WE LOVE IT! But now we want another little one and was told by my ob/gyn that i needed to wean her first. I hate to push her into this, but my age (36) is kind of rushing the "baby thing". I hope to have at least 2 more (started late....found soul mate a little late) and plan on breastfeeding everyone....but how do i wean my little one AND get pregnant? Can you breast feed and be pregnant? is this safe? OH...SO MANY QUESTIONS.
    Thanks mommas....like always....i appreciate everyones help.
    !!!
    CO (and loving it)
    with daddy and baby

Default Re: weaning and pregnancy

- yes the issue of nursing while pregnant is a fun one

In a nut shell. Yes indeed you can nurse while trying to get pregnant... during a pregnancy...and do whats called 'tandem nurse' after the baby is born if you so choose. All safe provided there are no high-risk issue with mom (or baby)

You can read more about that here. And here you will find some information regarding breastfeeding and your fertility.

Let us know if it helps you out
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

The PP gave you the right links. Just chiming in to with her- you may not need to wean in order to get pregnant, and as long as the pregnancy is normal and you don't have a history of miscarriage or pre-term labor, it's safe to nurse through pregnancy.

Has your menstrual cycle returned yet? If not, it may come back soon. I think the average time from birth to return of menses for women who are breastfeeding is around 15 months. If you want it to come back faster, partial weaning may encourage its return. A lot of moms start with night-weaning.

If your cycle has returned (or even if it hasn't), the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler is a great read for any woman who wants to conceive.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Unless something about your pregnancies are "high-risk" you shouldn't have to wean to get pregnant. That said, I did have to night wean at 21 months just to get my cycle back because before that I was having no AF. About 14 weeks into the pregnancy nursing became painful for me and my milk started to dry up, so we have weaned, but it was by personal choice (my l/o is now 25 mo) not because it is necessary.

Good luck!

Hola mommas!
    I have unfortunately have miscarried and was a gestational diabetic. NOt sure where this leaves me....menstruation has returned (at 6 months). Fortunately, I am an optimist!! LOVE BREASTFEEDING AND WILL TRY TO DO BOTH!! THANKS MOMMAS!!! I love you all soooooo much....this site has gotten me through alot...really
    love
    laylas momma
    !!!
    CO (and loving it)
    with daddy and baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laylasmomma View Post
    Hola mommas!
    I have unfortunately have miscarried and was a gestational diabetic. NOt sure where this leaves me....menstruation has returned (at 6 months). Fortunately, I am an optimist!! LOVE BREASTFEEDING AND WILL TRY TO DO BOTH!! THANKS MOMMAS!!! I love you all soooooo much....this site has gotten me through alot...really
    love
    laylas momma
    You are lucky that your cycles have returned and you have the option of getting pregnant. We're about the same age momma and I'm pg w/ my second and am nursing through the pregnancy. Looks like we might end up tandem nursing.

Most miscarriages are caused by random genetic defects not nursing. When you're breastfeeding it causes harmless uterine contractions, kind of like when you DTD while pregnant.

I'm glad you're going to give it a try! Good luck and keep us posted momma.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I'm so sorry you miscarried. I don't think that either one miscarriage of gestational diabetes should be enough to make anyone label you "high risk". Particularly if the GD was well-controlled.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"