Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice on whether to stop BF or not

Default Need advice on whether to stop BF or not

I am BF my first baby who is now 8 1/2 months old. I am not sure if her and I are ready to stop breastfeeding or not. I need some advice from mom's who have "been there". She is teething (first tooth just popped thru) and she rarely wants to BF now. She will cry and act like she wants milk, but then once she gets it, after about 1 to 2 minutes, she pushes away and cries. I have noticed that I don't get anywhere near as much milk as I used to when I pump (which I do if she doesn't finish eating to try to keep my supply regular). I'm not sure if my milk is drying up?? I don't normally pump until I'm empty, just the same amt of time as she would normally eat. I also don't feel as full before feedings as I used to - is this normal?? I don't work outside of the home, so I'm not dealing with that or anything. I feel ready to stop if I need to, but I wanted to BF until she was 1 yr old if possible. I don't want to stop early if I don't have to. She's fine with a bottle when I put breastmilk in it, but wants nothing to do with having formula in it (which I just did today b/c I was afraid she wasn't getting enough milk). I feel pretty confused about everything, but mainly wondering if she's done BF and if she's getting enough milk to be healthy. I appreciate any feedback!

Default Re: Need advice on whether to stop BF or not

Well I can tell you that she doesn't want to stop, it just sounds like it's hurting her to nurse. Which is not uncommon with teething. Have you tried giving her a cold/frozen washcloth to chew on before you nurse? Something to numb the gums might help her a lot.
    Also hyland's teething tablets or even a dose of Motrin if she's really having a tough time.

How are her diapers now? Is she still nursing or getting milk more than 4-5 times a day? Judging your supply from pumping or breast fullness is nearly impossible to do - output and your baby are the best indicators!

It's possible that she's getting more milk than you think (babies around this age can be really efficient nursers), but definitely keep an eye on that diaper output if you're concerned about how much she's getting. At 8.5 months, your baby should still be getting most of her nutrition from breastmilk, so keeping going with the breastfeeding is the best thing you can do (it's usually a lot easier and more effective than pumping and bottlefeeding - on both you and her). I agree that figuring out a way to soothe her teething pain could help a lot. Hopefully it's a really short-term problem and you'll both be back to nursing with ease in no time.

Thank you so much for the advice so far. I will try the pain relief and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted on how it worked for me. : )

I definitely don't think it's time to stop nursing. There are still so many benefits, and as the PPs said, breastfeeding should continue until age 1, at least. Teething could definitely be responsible for the reluctance to nurse, and since you're offering bottles, it's possible that there's some nipple confusion going on as well. But if you can hang in there, continue to nurse on demand, watch diaper output, continue to pump, and maybe limit or eliminate bottle use, there's every reason to believe that your baby will go back to the breast and continue to nurse for a long time to come!

Here's a link which may be helpful: Help- My Baby Won't Nurse!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would recommend hanging in there. I also wanted to quit when my baby was that age and she was nursing less but I did a lot of research and decided that it was best to continue. The main reason I contiued was b/c of immunity. Research made me realize that the immunity that babies get from breast milk is worth the hastle of only bf a couple times a day. Also babies need to get enough liquid and until they are willing to do so with a cup/bottle they need the breast (especially in the summer). DON'T USE FORMULA I had to with my first baby and it totally screwed up my milk supply b/c bfing is supply and demand and they will get sustanance from formula instead of bm. Good Luck Hang in there

Hi I'm Melissa
    I love my babies!
    Abigail Born 2-28-07
    Courtney Born 7-23-08
    Madilyn Born 2-16-11
    DH is SUPERMAN

Excuse me -there goes my toddlers

Thank you all for your advice! We are back on track and my baby is bfing like a champ again! I definitly think it was her teeth coming in that slowed her down. I tried the wet washcloths in the freezer and that seemed to help. The main thing was just being patient and pumping when she didn't eat her normal amount in order to keep my milk supply up. I was happy to find out that she wasn't going to wilt away from not drinking enough for that little bit of time : ) - the amt of her wet diapers told me she was doing alright.
    Thanks again and to anyone else out there who is going through the same thing I did, hang in there!!

Yay!!! How great that you are back on track. Good for you for being so persistent and patient.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"