Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipples Erect then go soft?

Default Nipples Erect then go soft?

Hi ladies! Ok in preparation for nursing baby #2 (pumped w/ #1) I have a question.

When I tried to get Maya to latch, when my milk was 1st coming in. My nipple would be erect and then when I went to latch her it would like go in/go soft? Now I was engorged and I would pump some and then try again with the same thing happening? I definitly don't have inverted nipples. TMI but they are always erect! Any ideas what would have caused this? Thanks so much! I am so glad I found this board!

Default Re: Nipples Erect then go soft?

Sarah,
    Hmmm...I was waiting for someone else to chime in on this. Not sure what would have "caused" this. You mentioned engorgement. Certainly, that would cause them to tighten and be harder for baby to latch.

What I can tell you is that with the recommendations of the use of the assymetrical latch, the erect nipple is not as important as it once was when the 'bull's eye" latch was being taught. The assymetrical latch is just that more of the areola will be showing above the baby's upper lip, than below. He is not dead-center on the areola.

Below is a link to a good picture of latching. It is not from LLLI.

http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...latchtalk.html

HTH!

Thanks Kate! Yeah I don't know what was up with that? Hopefully it won't happen w/ the nexy babe, but if it does we will get through it!

Your nipple doesn't have to be erect in order for baby to latch. In fact, women whose nipples do not become erect (flat nipples) can breastfeed.

Maybe try the assymetrical latch. It's a miracle cure! Actually, I always called it a nipple sandwich. Hey, it works!

Great! See I am learning so much! LOL I am going to be buying the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. And I will definitly attend LLL meetings!