Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Raw apples?

Default Raw apples?

So when is it "officially" okay to give your LO raw apples? DD eats them just fine at 14 months...She's very good she scrapes little bits off with her teeth. She's got 8 of them with 2 more coming in (incl molars). She is usually okay with raw foods. But of course my mil always has to undermine me and say "won't she choke on it?" Because I told her to just peel the apple (dd has a hard time with the skin - she usually spits it out anyway). All the ammo I had was "she eats it just fine" I feel that it would be a bigger choking hazard if it were cut up into little peices like she wants to do. Then DD would not be able to control the bites she takes? Make sense?
    She also says to me "won't you roll over on her when your sleeping?" ugh!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Raw apples?

I've been giving raw apples since he was like 9 months old....usually just the whole apple too. He has always done fine with it.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

YOU are exactly right. Not your MIL. Your daughter is much more likely to choke on smaller pieces. I did the exact same as you are doing, my daughter could just barely scrape off little bits with her teeth, but she loooooved to eat the apples that way.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I started giving my son Raw unpeeled apples at 8months.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you so much! I thought what I was doing okay...but you know how other people have a way of making you doubt...I just have to remember that *I* know my baby best
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

You are completely right. We started DS on raw apple slices around 8 mo, and he loved them, especially the skin (more nutrients there, which is great). Just make sure to buy organic or scrub the pesticides off with dish soap first.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

DS has had whole apples since around 9 months. IMO, cold, whole apples are the best teething meds out there. He's never choked on them. When he didn't want the peels he'd spit them out. Now he eats them.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

I waited so long to give raw apple slices and then I finally asked "the jury" on here, and they gave a resounding yes! I can't tell you how nice it was to be able to slice an apple and give it to DD. We started around the same age as you but I'm sure she could have handled it just fine several months earlier.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.