Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS ? whole fruits or pieces?

Default BLS ? whole fruits or pieces?

I would like to try BLS with LO, she's almost 6 months -- but looking at the links for BLS, it says to cut up food to baby-fist sizes, preferably something that has a "handle" so LO can grasp it. BUT then I see pics of 6 month olds chewing on pears! Do we not need to cut up fruits? Does the entire pear act as a "handle"? Do the fruits need to be cooked and then cut up? Just not sure. Also, many on here say to cut up food into long matchsticks, is this also "handle"-like? LOL sooo much stuff to learn!

Default Re: BLS ? whole fruits or pieces?

I let my DD gnaw on whole apples (sometimes I had to scrape the skin away for her. All she could really do with them was scrape applesauce-like amounts off the surface with her tiny little teeth. I think she was a bit older though, maybe around 8-9 months.

I would not have given her sticks of apple, I did give her sticks/strips of softer fruits, though. Banana, melon, avacado (does that count as a fruit?).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: BLS ? whole fruits or pieces?

from the guidelines doc:

There is no need to cut food into mouth-sized pieces. Indeed, this will make it difficult for a young baby to handle. A good guide to the size and shape needed is the size of the baby’s fist, with one important extra factor to bear in mind: Young babies cannot open their fist on purpose to release things. This means that they do best with food that is chip-shaped or has a built-in ‘handle’ (like the stalk of a piece of broccoli). They can then chew the bit that is sticking out of their fist and drop the rest later – usually while reaching for the next interesting looking piece. As their skills improve, less food will be dropped.
    Note that the author is British - so her "chip" is a chunky American "french-fry".

We gave our DS naturally soft fruits - pears, bananas, etc. For things like pears sometimes we'd cut into slices for DS to pick up, sometimes we'd let him tackle the whole fruit. Really depends on the LO's interest.

I don't think we ever cooked any fruit for DS.

Veggies we steamed until soft enough that I could eat them without using my teeth (only my tongue & the roof of my mouth) but firm enough to be able to pick up. Things like cooked sweet potato are great - naturally very soft.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)