Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm all wet!

Default I'm all wet!

I have had the good fortune of always being able to offer my little baby plenty of milk. However, in all that I've read about the problem of over-supplying, it'll go down once you follow cues of your baby. Well, it's been 2 months now and I have the problem of wetting my sheets every night even though I sleep with a cloth diaper in my nursing bra. (When I wake up for her 2AM feeding it is soaked through & I have to change it, but my sheets are still always soaked.) I go through at least 2 sets of disposable nursing pads during the day.

For about 4 weeks, I went without pumping any extra milk at all to see if my supply would somehow regulate, but it made the problem worse because I would leak through shirts and get lots of clogged ducts. For about a week or so, I've been pumping to relieve some of my supply and it's been better. I'll actually get about 4 ounces or more AFTER I've fed my daughter. I've been freezing it.

However, my concern is this: though pumping has temporarily fixed the problem, I'm worried that pumping will actually increase my milk supply even MORE and then she won't get through to the hind milk. Advice?!
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Default Re: I'm all wet!

I had the same problem for a long time. After I fed my baby, I would stick these (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...ump&navCount=3) in my shirt outside of the nursing pads and go to sleep. The cold packs really seemed to help slow the refilling of milk and the leaking. And because these are made for kids and warm up relatively quickly, I didn't have to worry about going to sleep with them in and ending up with frostbitten boobs!

I use Lansinoh (sp?) pads and wear a nursing tank top (from Target) to bed. I had the same problems. It took me a long time to find pads that would actually hold as much milk as I was leaking... these will. Try it out. Good luck.
    First time Mom to Lilly 4-30-09 and have been
    and since.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lillypie View Post
    I use Lansinoh (sp?) pads and wear a nursing tank top (from Target) to bed. I had the same problems. It took me a long time to find pads that would actually hold as much milk as I was leaking... these will. Try it out. Good luck.
    Haha!! Lansinoh pads and Target nursing tank are the only thing that can contain my nighttime leaking, too! Sometimes I have to change the pads during the nighttime feeding, but it keeps my sheets dry and my spirits up!
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

I'm jealous too, but I'm sure it's frustrating.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

FWIW, I leaked thru my tops until about 10 weeks or so...
    My supply regulated and I stopped using nursing pads at about 16 weeks...

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*airportmom View Post
    FWIW, I leaked thru my tops until about 10 weeks or so...
    My supply regulated and I stopped using nursing pads at about 16 weeks...
    Wow, I didn't get rid of them until DD was almost a year old

I agree, Lansinoh pads are great. I was like a dairy cow until I got pregnant, and I never leaked out of them. Well, once. But that was at the beginning when things were ker-azy! lol
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

I too had WAY to much milk. I went through a nursing pad at every feeding. I will say though to be careful using a pump to relieve yourself because it is telling your body to make more milk. I actually used the baby washclothes at night and that helped too. I also use the Lansinoh nursing pads and they do hold a LOT of milk.
    joined as one 11-5-05
    mama to DS 3-21-09
    Doing what I was born to do....Love cloth diapering

Husband and son will be Baptized 7-19-09..we will all be renewed and born again.

I use the Gerber Heavy Flow nursing pads. THEY absorb alot of milk.

I have tried Lansinoh, Medela, Avent, and Johnson's.

I have found the Gerber heavy flow pads to be the best, yet. They absorb something like two ounces of milk at a time before they start leaking. They are a bit pricey, ($5.99 for 30 pads) but they are so worth it for those over night uses. (Do not confuse these with the ultra-thin pads. they don't absorb hardly anything before they give in.)

Johnson's are the next best. ($7.69 for 60 pads) They absorb approx. 1-1.5 ounces before leaking. . . they're soft and comfortable, plus they don't have a crease across the center.

I found the Medela pads to be pretty much useless. And kind of expensive at $9.99 for 60 pads. Once they are full (less than 1 oz) they leak right through the supposedly "leak-proof" lining.

I had over supply issues and pumped just enough to relieve the uncomfortably full feeling (I felt like an unmilked cow, I swear I was fidgeting and all), and fed DD whenever she was hungry and was still pumping around 4-6 ounces per feeding.

I have reduced my pumpings to twice a day and feeding her about 6 times a day. she only eats from one side at a time but I alternate to prevent engorgement. My body has gotten used to the abuse and has finally settled down.

You will be fine and I do hope you try the Gerber pads, they were a miracle for myself. I still use them overnight. I use the Johnson's for day use.

Good luck and breast wishes.
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount