Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does it take?

Default How long does it take?

My baby is 8 weeks old, and I figured out on Tuesday evening that my oversupply was causing him problems. I didn't realize his green poop and everlasting tummyache was caused by me!! Anyway, I did a bunch of research and have been block feeding since Tuesday evening, and haven't pumped AT ALL since then (thought I'd explode a couple times, but I survived unscathed). His tummyache seems to have resolved, and my supply seems more balanced out (haven't been engorged in 24 hours!). But how long until his poop is back to normal? He's had a couple good ones that I got excited about, but the next one would be watery and green again. Is there something else I should be doing?

Default Re: How long does it take?

You're doing GREAT, mama!

Don't sweat the poop! Breastfed baby stools are often watery. That's normal. My DD is almost 14 months and was exclusively BF until 10 months. She would have an occasional stool that was very watery and green. Sometimes she still does. I have found that the color and consistency of her stools change depending on how much she nursed and what other foods/drinks she had in between.

Green stool can be caused by iron in the baby's system. Do you take an iron supplement, or does your baby take one?

Check out this website on breastfed baby stools: http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

Don't be alarmed by "watery stools that are 'greener' than usual" being diarrhea. That's not necessarily the case -- only if the stools are far more frequent than normal. DD's pedi said that 5-8 stools was enough to constitute diarrhea for her, but she was never a marathon pooper like other breastfed babies who went after every feeding. If you're concerned about this, contact your pedi and ask her thoughts about BF baby diarrhea.

Hope this helps a bit!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

Default Re: How long does it take?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momof1boy View Post
    , haven't pumped AT ALL since then (thought I'd explode a couple times, but I survived unscathed).
    with pp

just wanted to add you could pump just a bit if you feel really unconfortable!
    hang in there mama!!!