Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to Increase Output

Default How to Increase Output

Trying to pump to get a supply going, but I only get 1-2 ounces at a time. The most I've gotten is 2.5 after she was fed with a bottle of expressed milk. I have read some posts where some ladies are getting 7-8 ounces at a sitting... My baby is 2 months today, should my volume increase as she ages (she only took about 2 ounces at the feeding, otherwise I have no idea how much she takes)?

I've tried all of the tricks I've read to help with pumping - I've had her in my lap while I did it, tried feeding on one side & pumping the other, tried closing my eyes and relaxing, done it shortly after nursing and longer after nursing.... Are there any other tricks I might try to increase my output?

Default Re: How to Increase Output

Thats actually really good considering you are nursing & pumping. 7-8 ounces at a sitting is not typical and is not always a good thing (oversupply can cause problems with engorgement and a fussy baby). Best way to know that shes getting enough is to count her wet and dirty diapers.

Are you heading back to work? If you are pumping @ work and not nursing then you will start getting more milk in the bottle, kwim?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

try pumping before breastfeeding!

Try pumping at the same time every day (so to trick your breasts into making milk for that feeding) I used to pump every morning after the first feeding. At first I only got a few drops, but after a few weeks, I was pumping a couple of ounces. I eventually got to the point where I would nurse DD on one side only & pump on the other. BTW - I never got and still dont get more than a few ounces per pumping session.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

(answering all at once, I'm lazy like that)

Yes, trying to head back to work but in the transition I am taking her there with me. I can't afford daycare so I don't know what I'm gonna do in a few months when she's too active to take.

If I pump before feeding, won't I starve her?

I could try to pump the same general time everyday - it's been hard to get a schedule going, as soon as I adjust to her, she stays up until 2 and sleeps late, and then she'll go back to going to sleep around 10 and waking up at 6... I've been pumping after her second morning feeding so far because she usually wants to eat again 2 hours afterwards and I was afraid I wouldn't have enough to feed her if I pumped them dry...

Hi,

Personally I pump after 1st morning feeding and get 2-3 oz cuz i'm really full since my DS sleeps thru the night...I used to pump after every feeding for about 10 min. but now I'm pumping after every other feeding and I get about 1-2 oz per pump session then 3 hrs after his last evening feeding once he's asleep I pump for about 15 minutes and get about 5-6 oz...So I'm able to freeze 1-2 5 oz bags per day and my supply has increased significantly...I personally dont like to pump before feedings because I want to make sure he gets all he wants before i take it away...Hope that helps some
    MOMMY OF 5 WONDERFUL BABIES
    NATALIE 10/3/88
    JESS 3/17/93
    JOSH 3/23/96
    ABBIE 7/7/97
    BABY GABRIEL 2/3/09
    LIL GABRIEL'S ALWAYS MILKING THE
    AND LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!
    AND IF I'M HERE... I'M PROBABLY OR

once she gets a bit more established you can predict a good time of day to pump and you'll start making more at that time like somebody else suggested.

My boys have been sleeping through the night for a while now (they're almost 6 mo) and go to bed about 8pm-ish. I pump before I go to bed, about 2 hours later. I take a nice HOT shower and sit down to pump and relax while I watch TV or go on the computer. I started off making about 1-2 oz, but now get around 8oz on the left and 5oz on the right. (keep in mind I'm feeding twins so there's a lot of output because of the big demand...oh and the left is everyone's favorite boob) I store the milk to use in their cereal or freeze it.

Besides the hot shower, holding the breast shields and putting the palm of my hand firmly on the sides of my boobs makes a big difference for me, I don't know if it's the warmth of my hand or the pressure but it has worked wonders (It is kinda inconvenient though...) also check the valve membranes. Some looked perfect to me, but if i'd stretch them a little there would be a ton of little rips in them that would interfere with the suction.
    I'm and trying my hardest to my twin boys since 1/23/09

I, too, am concerned about returning to work and pumping volume. I've been eating oatmeal (the instant kind, as a nurse told me that will work just as well as steel-cut) daily and that seems to help a bit but not enough. Several friends and a LLL leader recommended Fenugeek, an herb that you can get at a health foods store. Apparently you'll smell like maple syrup when taking it but everyone who uses it swears by it.

Am curious for the PP's who are pumping before or after a feeding: how many sets of shields, connectors, etc. do you have for your pumps? I only have 3 and I'd have to wash 2x/day if I did that! (LOL - it's partly a rhetorical question)