Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1-year old & weaning

Default Re: 1-year old & weaning

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    mommal
    Wait, did I say something funny? Let me in on the joke!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm in the same boat as my one year old is having trouble drinking from sippys. We've tried three or four kinds. She is going back to dc in August and I'd love to kick the bottle out the door - but so far, not much success with sippies. I want to keep nursing, but she gets so distracted, that I'm not sure how much she really gets when she nurses. Just wanted you to know that you're not alone - getting to 1 is a big deal and deciding to nurse past 1 is a big commitment. I'm interested in the ideas that the other mommas will give!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Wait, did I say something funny? Let me in on the joke!
    Sorry - no - We just said similar things
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

The thing is, after a year you CAN continue AND set limits and do some of what you want. Like I wouldn't NOT exercise or even modify your diet some if that it what you are ready for. I don't know that it will alter your milk supply. Because IME by the year point your supply is very regulated AND able to be much more flexible than in the beginning. In that I have known more than a few mothers here that have gone away for over night or LONGER and where able to come back to their toddler and pick up where they left off. Pumping only for engorgement and NOT to keep up a supply. After a year point is also when a lot of working mothers safely pump wean.
    So by all means do what you want in the way of diet and exercise. More likely what would happen is that she may REJECT your breastmilk because when people start working out very rapidly sometimes the lactic acid changes the flavor of your breastmilk. And sometimes kids don't like it. BUT if she doesn't like it anymore OR if your supply dwindles than problem solved. Because than your daughter will still be the one choosing to walk away.
    But in the mean time, if she is having a very hard time, perhaps rather than go cold turkey or thinking of your trip as the cutoff point, you work on gradually giving up one or two sessions at a time so that it is a gradual gentle weaning?
    And I certainly am not trying to take anything away from your accomplishment!! A year IS a great accomplishment. Just would like you to know that the benefits don't stop at a year. And that reccommendation really IS a bare bones minimum. That's even how it's worded. "AT LEAST the 1st year of life and then for as long as is mutually beneficial for mother and child".
    And one of the major things that happens after the year point is that the level of antibodies goes WAY up. Because a child of that age IS naturally nursing less and also that is when they normally get moving AND are usually exposed to other children.
    So don't NOT do the things you want to do for yourself. Just perhaps be open to the idea that it's not an all or nothing thing. You can still nurse even just 2-3 a day AND work out AND go away overnight AND get her to eat solid foods. None of those things are mutually exclusive at this point!!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    Sorry - no - We just said similar things
    Ah... Maybe I should start reading all the posts before I reply...

ETA: Went back and read your post, and man, it's like I copy-and-pasted!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'll check out that book - thanks, ladies!

On the frozen breast milk pops, nope never tried that. Is it as simple as it sounds? Just freeze like a normal popcycle?

And, yes, she does take frozen EBM in a bottle without hesitation.

Thanks for all your support
    Mommy to Olivia Barbara, born 7/14/08 and Ian Graham, born 10/3/04

Thanks dj'smom - it helps me to think of it differently with all the AND's emphasized.

I'll get this figured out. I don't want to rush her and I also don't want to use breastfeeding as a reason to not be getting back into shape. I really do love nursing her, and with all that frozen milk, I can just as easily get some of my day back to exercise by having my hubby give her a bottle. When I've been out shopping or working and she's taken a bottle, I haven't noticed any change in supply nor engorgement. So, that's a good thing
    Mommy to Olivia Barbara, born 7/14/08 and Ian Graham, born 10/3/04