Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1-year old & weaning

Default 1-year old & weaning

Hi Everyone,

My daughter turns 1 on the 14th (hard to believe!), and it seems like its time for her to move on from breastfeeding. She strenuously disagrees with me! She won't drink anything from a sippy cup - I've tried water, diluted apple juice, soy milk, and breast milk. All are a no go. I've tried several different cups and have yet to find something she's happy about.

She would be happy to nurse throughout the day, if I let her. Clearly she wants to nurse every now and then just from thirst rather than hunger. She's not a big eater of regular food, and I imagine weaning would be easier if she was. We still spoon feed her most food, but she'll eat Cheerios/Puffs (frankly, she'd survive on those alone if we let her!), toast, banana slices, and occasionally she won't toss away diced sweet potato and peas.

I'm taking a trip for business on the 17th and 18th and was hoping that would be a good time to do the final steps of weaning off bedtime. That's what happened with my son (now 4), I took a trip, and that was the end of it. She really won't be ready for that though, so I'll be packing my trusty pump

She will take bottles fine, so I could wean her more easily to those, but it seems like that would be a bad step because then I'd just need to wean her from those to a cup anyway.

I really think she doesn't like how the liquid comes out of the bottle because she gags (and I do have the stopper in, of course), and she still uses size 2 nipples on bottles because 3 freaks her out!

Oh, and to compound the issues, I have a freezer full of breast milk that if she won't take from a sippy means I either do need to transition to bottles to use it up or toss it. The milk banks won't let me donate because I lived in England in the 80's (CRAZY!!). I hate to toss out that valuable stuff - like 400 oz worth!

Thoughts?
    Mommy to Olivia Barbara, born 7/14/08 and Ian Graham, born 10/3/04

Default Re: 1-year old & weaning

I"m a little confused. Are you wanting to wean completly, or just at bedtime. Is there any particular reason why besides your trip?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

If she is strenously disagrees as you put it, is there something other than your trip that makes you need to wean?
    Could we may be just help you take the steps to night wean?

Way too lazy for formula

Before you throw any frozen milk out, check into milkshare.com. You can find someone local to give the milk to.

Good luck

I nurse her 4-5 times every day. First thing in the morning when she wakes up (around 6), then again between naps, around 10-11, then late afternoon around 3 and again before bedtime at 6/6:30.

I was originally thinking that by my trip I'd be down to just the bedtime feed and eliminate that while I was away. But, as of now, I'm just needing to get started on the daytime feeds. That's where my question around using bottles more factors in.

I suppose some feedback may be to just keep nursing. This is foreign territory to me. I nursed my son for a year and stopped, and he was perfectly happy because he was used to bottles during the daytime and moved on to sippy's easily. For my daughter, I've been home during the day, so while she will definitely take bottles, she hasn't had a need to very often. It just seems like a good time to move on. My concern is the longer I wait, the harder it will be. Maybe though she's just plain not ready and will need a little longer than my son did.

I feel ready to be done, but can certainly continue a bit longer. I just have all that milk in the freezer and was hoping to use it to help her transition to sippys. Today she started taking a few sips of water but she isn't liking breastmilk from sippys.

Thanks for all your thoughts and feedback. I'm open to hearing all of it!

Thanks mommy2lila - I'll definitely check that out!

I guess so, but never really thought about it that way. I have always had in my head that 12 months of breast feeding was a job well done, so to speak, and meant I gave my babies the best start they could have. I suppose I haven't expanded my thinking into how much more benefits perhaps are derived beyond a year.

I have only lost 15 lbs from my pregnancy (of 70 gained!), and I've been using breast feeding as my reason for not dieting also. I realize that's not really a good reason now, but I've been fearful about changing anything when my milk supply has been fine. My weight loss plan is a bit dramatic with dropping lots of carbs and sugar and exercising like a maniac, so I would expect my milk would be impacted.

So, I suppose those are a couple of things swirling around in my mind as the reason for weaning after 1. Don't know that they are great reasons, now that I write this, but nevertheless, that's as honest as I can be

Your baby has indeed gained MANY benefits from you for nursing to her birthday If you're truly wanting to wean there are many resources around that can help you AND Your concerns are valid and I hope I can quickly adress them to get some feedback from you to see if the issues you're sharing with us can be met in a pleasing way for you and will allow you to continue to nurse for both of you if that's what you choose to do.

Breastfeeding does indeed offer many benefits (for baby and mom ) You can read even more about the benefits of extended breastfeeding here.

Loosing weight is a big issue for many moms (with good reason.) A book I just recently heard of and had nice success with is Eat Well, Loose Weight While Breastfeeding. Check out your local library as they might have it! It's not a "diet" book... its really a "eating for life" book. And exercise is a-okay while nursing.

Another thing you might want to look into is nice finger foods - if you havent tried them already... and for what it's worth - tossing food away isn't indicative of them not liking a food or not wanting it.. it is part of the 'game' and the learning process to do what you can to be patient with it...

Have you tried frozen breastmilk pops?

Has she ever taken your frozen expressed BM?
    Last edited by @llli*number4; July 12th, 2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo exercise
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I have always had in my head that 12 months of breast feeding was a job well done, so to speak, and meant I gave my babies the best start they could have.
    It absolutely is a job well done! But continuing on is, to my mind, a job even more well done. There are so many benefits to be had from toddler nursing. (Here's a great article about them: Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits.)

One thing that does become much easier is weaning. At 12 months a baby is still very much a baby, and a lot of babies are still getting most of their calories from breastmilk well into the first half of the second year. (My daughter barely ate more than a teaspoon or two of solid food until 14-15 months.) But once the baby's diet shifts to mostly solids, the nursing sessions start to drop off all by themselves, without mom needing to do a thing. (At 12 months, my daughter nursed 8-12 times per day. By 18 months, we were down to 4-5 times. At 2 years, she was down to 3. By 2.5 years, it was once a day, and at 3 years, she weaned herself with only the slightest nudge from me.)

My weight loss plan is a bit dramatic with dropping lots of carbs and sugar and exercising like a maniac, so I would expect my milk would be impacted.
    Quite possibly not! A lot of moms notice no difference in their milk supplies during exercise and dieting. You might want to check out this terrific book: Eat Well, Lose Weight, While Breastfeeding by Eileen Behan. It's a much less drastic weight loss agenda than what you have planned, but it does tell you a lot a nursing mom should know about nursing and her own nutrition.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mommal
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.