Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much?

Default How much?

I have two questions brought on by a friend's recent visit to her pediatrician. She took her son to his 18 mos appt and was told he was underweight. She is currently giving him 8 bottles of "milk" a day (not sure if this is formula or cow's milk) because he doesn't want to eat real food and she doesn't want him to be hungry. So she was told to back off to 3 bottles/day 'cause he needed more solids. Which leads me to...how much milk should an 11 m/o be getting if he's nursing? I think we're doing fine but a little support/advice is most appreciated. My ds eats 2-3 solid meals a day (and he eats like a horse) and also nurses well at least 3 times a day and 1-2 times in the middle of the night/very early am. He weighs approx 19-20 lbs (8 lbs at birth).
    This same friend also counselled me not to nurse when my ds had diarrhea last week. Her ped told her to feed pedialyte exclusively when dealing with diarrhea. I really didn't agree with this, and continued nursing until he was better. He's fine now, but I'd sure love to hear some comments on this one!
    Thanks
    Last edited by Wolfemom; September 7th, 2006 at 02:32 AM.

Default Re: How much?

Well, I have about the same question, but I want to know how much solids they should be getting. Like what is a meal?
    Bfing has many more calories, and nutrients in it than regular cow's milk or formula has, therefore baby is missing out on those things when eating/drinking bm. KWIM. If you look at it like the cows milk has very little calories or nutrients in it, but that is all the little boy is getting all day long, then he would need to cut back and eat more solids so that he could get the nutrients. By breastfeeding you are giving your baby MOST of ALL of the nutrients that he needs. (I'm not sure how old your's is, but some baby's can thrive on nothing but bm until 1 year and sometimes even longer.) Kaytlynn only had one jar of solids every now and then until she turned one. She too is small, but she is HEALTHY so it doesn't bother me. I'm one of the people who agrees with the look at the baby not the scale. How can an EXCLUSIVELY bfed baby be compared to the baby who starts eating solids at four months and is eating 2 pieces of pizza and any other junk food?? Sorry to ramble, I'm just trying to make my point.
    On the diarrhea subject, you were SO right to continue bfing. Many people try to say give the pedilyte during those times, when infact bm has ALL of the nutrients in it that pedilyte does. Therefore the ONLY time you should give that instead of nurse, is if baby won't eat. Then you should push the stuff but not instead of bm. BF tends to help babies get through diarrhea also. HTH a little!! Sorry its so LONG!

3 bottles would still be 24 oz of milk/formula right?
    thats still alot of milk....
    dr sears has a few good books about nurtrion..
    I would think your dc would not need any extra cows milk if he/she is nursing that much. You don't want to replace cows milk for breastmilk.. breastmilk is much beter for baby.

Good Lord! 8 bottles??? I sincerely hope it was iron fortified formula and not cow's milk, or he could be one very sick little boy. Cow's milk can cause anemia since it actually interferes with the absorption of iron. Todlers should not be drinking any more than 16-24 oz of cow's milk in 24 hours to avoid anemia and also should be eating plenty of iron and vit C rich foods to help keep thier iron levels high.

Breastmilk should not be limited even after 12 mo since it's still such a wonderfly complete and healthy food. As long as a todler is nursing at least 3-4 times a day, any extra milk he drinks is totally unnessacary and probably just taking the place of more nutritious solids. Nursing 3-4 times a day will provide a todler with all the fat, protien, and calcuim he needs.

An 11 mo actually should not be drinking any cow's milk at all regardless of how often he is nursing, since cow's milk should not be given until at least 12 mo. If baby does not nurse often enough, try to nurse more, but if that is not possible he should recieve suplementarly iron fortified formula.

On breastmilk vs pedialite, breastmilk is better and should not only be continued but encouraged when baby has diarrhea. Pedialite is mostly meant for ff babies who won't be able to take formula while they are sick.

I actually wasn't asking about giving my ds any cow's milk...I should have been more clear. I was just making sure that by bfing still a min of 3-4 times/day (sometimes more but never less) on top of all the solids he eats (he really eats, man ) that he wasn't getting overfed. I won't cut down on bm, but he eats what he wants in the solid dept. too; I let him tell me he's done (which he does, he just consumes an incredible amt of EVERYTHING!).

Thanks for the reinforcement on the bm for diarrhea thing. I just knew in my heart her advice wasn't right and I'm glad I made the right choice.

Thanks again, ladies!