Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smoking and bf

Exclamation smoking and bf

Does anyone know any info about smoking 5 or less ciggs a day and breastfeeding??? I am an exsmoker but I am cheating the last few days from all the stress at home/work... Mostly the stress is due to the fact that my daughter is nipple confused and refuses to nurse from the breast...I also have a toddler who is at home with me and freaks out if I hold my LO too much...I am at the pump and sometimes forced to give formula to satisfy a growth spurt and of course feeling guiltier than ever about it.. but I really want to read info on even the smallest amount of ciggarette smoking and its affect on BF so that I can get more of a push to not start again--the studies I am reading about discuss smokers smoking at least 1/2 pack a day and I am definitely not...just one or two to let off some steam and never around the kids... I feel so bad about it but its like an excuse to get out for 5 minutes and relax...

Default Re: smoking and bf

I don't know much about it, but I found these links that seem to be helpful. Plus, they're from the LLL website, so I assume that they're the best ones.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/smoking.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep04p75.html

Here's one from Kelly Mom:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html

I hope that those can give you more information.

Don't do it! The nicotine is in your blood and the baby gets it. We're encouraged as new mothers not to even let our newborns be around smokers!! Find a way to take 5-10 min breaks and NOT SMOKE EVER.

If you are struggling with nipple confusion already and having a hard time nursing, please do not smoke. The smell alone is likely to discourage baby and the taste is sure to come out in your milk. Nicotine immediately passes into your bloodstream so is very likely to affect your milk, no matter how much you smoke! You owe it to your baby to not smoke--find another way to blow off steam and get a natural -ine, adrenaline or endorphine. Take a walk, do some jumping jacks, situps or something physical like that.

As for supplementing with formula to get through a growth spurt, that is a vicious cycle. Your supply depends on your baby sucking more to produce more milk. Supplementing will decrease the stimulation to your breast and therefore decrease your supply. You say you have a jealous toddler that gets upset when you hold the baby too much. I don't have personal experience with this so hopefully someone will jump in, but from what the other ladies have said previously, try a sling. You can nurse your baby in a sling and play with the toddler and maybe everyone would have their emotional needs satisfied (and be sure to ask a friend or dh or someone to give you a break...so you get your emotional needs met too!).

Please, please, please, do not consider smoking. It is not the answer! I know--I am an exsmoker myself and have craved ciggies a lot since dd was born. I just really owe it to her!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I am an exsmoker, too, and I admit I miss the 5 selfish minutes. So, take them. Do something else, find another guilty. Put a trashy magazine outside and step outside and catch up on mindless gossip. Trashy, like UsWeekly, not smut, is what I meant! Althoguh, that's funny. "I used to smoke like a champ but now I just sneak off and read a Playgirl 10 or 20 times a day!" ha!!

But seriously, when Emily was little and I was home all day a lot of the time I would put her in her bouncy seat wher I could see her and step out on my deck and just breathe... just to be all alone for a minute. I coudl see her, she was safe but I was just me for 5 minutes. I never made it 5 minutes, really, just step away and breathe. i think the deep breathing of smoking is as calming as the nicotine. You can do it!! I did and I am an addict through and through!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I have no practical advice or studies to offer, but I wanted to just say that you all are so awesome for quitting the tobacco! It is a tough, tough addiction and I have seen it creep back into my DH's life again and again. People who quit are my personal heroes and deserve a plaque. What a valuable lifelong gift to your children -- not merely to protect them from nicotine exposure in your breastmilk, but to model healthy and tobacco-free living for when they get older and have to make their own choices! Brava!!

--Rebecca

The breastmilk, even with nicotine and whatever else in it, is still better than fomrula. That's the bottom line. Of course, don't smoke, but if you do, continue to bf because it is much better to smoke and bf than to smoke and ff.

By the way, smoking actually decreases your milk supply! So if you're already struggling with supply issues, please do find a way to stop.

I strongly suggest that you get in contact with an LC and get your baby back to the breast asap; pumping can keep a supply up, but it is much harder than actually putting the baby to the breast. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

I agree Don't Smoke! I also know that sounds easy, but is hard. My husband has a drawer full of quit smoking remedies and still smokes (outside, of course). If you do cheat however, I read that you should do it after nursing and wait at least 2 hours. And be careful about smoking and SIDS. Good luck.

Thanks to everyone who wrote...I got a sling last night- the OTSBH, its great she falls asleep in it so nicely...I tried nursing today and even got the sheilod on but no luck.. I try not to take it to heart but it gets me everytime. some days when she'll spontaniosly nurse I get the best feeling- I feel so happy and relaxed-I dont even crave a cigg but then 99% of the time when she screams and pulls away arching her back- I get soo offended. I also never handle her after smoking - I wash up and keep a burp cloth between her and I. ...which doesnt kill the scent completely but helps...my toddler is having real issues and I think I'll start a thread about that to see what some people can say... I am so disgusted with the smoking- I miss excersizing, I have a machine at home but whenever both girls are asleep (which happens for at least 20 minuteas simultaneously) I look at my machine and then I see that I could probably whip up dinner or wash the floor during that time, or I am too exhausted to do anything and by the time I make up my mind to rest-my LO is up and hungry. She eats every 2 hours- even when I supplement with formula..is this normal? The doctor said to give 3-4 oz and I am...so isn't it suppose to hold her off for at least 3 hours???

My LO used to eat every 2 hours. As he got older he became more efficient I guess and it streached out more. How old is your LO?