Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Question...

Red face Pumping Question...

I hve a question about pumping in between feedings. when I punp in between feedings I only produce about 1 1/2 to 3 ounces. When I nurse my son after a pumping it seems to me like he is not getting enough. after nursing for about five minutes he will pull off rather violently and cry. he'll do this several times before I finally just switch him to the other side. He will then do the same thing on the opposite side. My nipples will also feel as though they are hot and drying out. When it is all said and done though my son does not act as though he is still hungry and he will not want to nurse again for about three or four hours.

I guess I am wondering if it is possible to empty or pump too much in between feedings. Should I not pump between feedings? I try to pump in the early morning after the first or second feeding. And this issue has only be recently. About the last two weeks or so. I am about the return to work part time and would like to express milk for my son to have while I am at work. Any advise?
    Ally

Default Re: Pumping Question...

Pumping between feeding shouldn't be an issue. Maybe your ds is balking because the flow is not as quick as he expects after you pump? The milk is there, it might just be slower coming down. Did you know that milk is produced fastest in the hour after nursing? It's true!

Default Re: Pumping Question...

Thanks. I did not know that. Appreciate the response.