Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relactating at SIXTEEN MONTHS?? impossible??back to breast impossible?

Question Relactating at SIXTEEN MONTHS?? impossible??back to breast impossible?

My DS has weight issues.. and i had to stop nursing when he was two months old due to a bad med combination I was on.

I have been given the go ahead to stop the meds that conflicted with bfing.

Dare I try to relactate

I really really really really want to!

I would LOVE Ds to get back to the breast.. is it too late? I tried just for the heck of it tonight and he pitched a F-I-T and absolutely refused.. mind you, i dont have milk yet..

But the good news is my breasts NEVER stopped producing colostrum. I can still get a few drops with the pump, and I even saw a little bit of white come out of the left breast(which was always the bigger producer).

So - I am going to give this a shot. I need some advice:

-How many times and for how long should I pump? I am having sucess with the pump I have, though its not hospital grade, i really cannot afford that right now but I will go that route should I have to.

-Getting a toddler back to breast - its possible right? He wont have anything to do with my boobs other than mauling them lol. I felt so bad for even trying, he was so upset. I even tried putting chocholate pudding on my nip lol.

Should I get an SNS? And try that?

Ladies can I do this? I really want to!
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

Default Re: Relactating at SIXTEEN MONTHS?? impossible??back to breast impossible?

Is he still getting breastmilk - is it a familiar taste still? I would say don't push it - you don't want to make it a bad experience for him. But if it's really important to you, you could open the door for him and see what happens. I wouldn't take the first time as an indication, he might take some time to get used to the idea - though I don't know - would a 16 month old have enough of the reflex left to figure it out?

Default Re: Relactating at SIXTEEN MONTHS?? impossible??back to breast impossible?

I dont know? I thought of that too.

Honestly even if I was pumping and giving it to him in a cup i would be satisfied with that..

Yes, I dont think he knows what to do with a nipple anymore. I think ill put a call in to the pedi nurse tomorrow and see what she thinks. They wont put him on donated milk because he is "too old"

I dont know.

Maybe this is a pipe dream but i cant see it hurting him to have breastmilk?

He did take the little bit i got with the pump with no problems. So he didnt mind the taste!

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

I am thinking too that he will not go back to the breast, and honestly I dont want to make it a fight. Im happy if he just drinks it from his sippy. At his current weight, i just think for his health he could use that supplement and if i can do it now why not do it? I dont know. I go back and forth.. but something inside my mommy brain says it would be a good and beneficial thing to do.

It absolutely couldn't hurt Mama. I say go with what you feel is right.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I have an appointment with the Pedi, an appointment with the Health Nurse, and an appointment with the IBCLC!

And - will wonders never cease - I wrote my Aunt who is a nurse, thinking she would think me batcrap crazy for even thinking of it this late - she thinks its a GREAT idea. She literally said "YOu go girl" lol!!!

Her advice was to start pumping 4x a day, then add a pumping session each consecutive day(she said this way its not such a shock to my breasts, but really I could do it either way) and get thee some fenugreek and lots of the oatmeal -now heres a question - does it have to be mushy oatmeal? Because the texture of regular oatmeal makes me gag.

So Today is day one, im going to keep a log here and see how I do. If all these things dont work im going to try to get the dom, but FIRST im going to go the natural route since im still producing colostrum anyways.. im obviously not totally dried up!

And i also thought HEY maybe my periods will go away again LOL

Good luck! I don't know if he'll get back to the breast, especially if it's been since he was 2 months old that he nursed, but getting him some BM in a sippy sounds like a great idea!
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

good luck mama!!!! i think its a great idea.

DS stopped nursing at 9 months because of my pregnancy and he will be around 14 months when his little sister is born and i will definitely try to get him back at the breast. and if that doesnt work i'll pump for him and give it in a bottle or cup just like your doing.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

pumping pumping pumping... so far just sticky drops. Havent been able to locate any fenugreek(im in a town of less than 900) and CC is maxed atm... so pump pump pump pump!

I think it is a great idea to relactate to provide milk for your child, whether it's given in a cup or not.

I relactated (much earlier) and it took 3.5 weeks of pumping (15min maximum) 7-8 times a day, never skipping the nights, to get my supply fully up. This was after a 3.5 week period of not breastfeeding. The rule of thumb that was true for me is that it takes the same amount of time to fully relactate as the duration of your break from breastfeeding. (I think this is very subjective though.)

I used domperidone at some point but it was already clear that the pumping was doing it's job at that point. I don't think any of the supply remedies were significant in my case.

Good luck!