Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help

Question Please Help

Please help

Ive been breast feeding for 4 weeks now. My son was a preemie and i have flat nipples. He gets really frustrated when he tries to nurse and doesn't lach on very well. Ive been pumping and giving him the breast milk through the bottle. He does alot better with it this way. My concern is that i will not have enough milk for him as he gets older. I plan to breast feed till he is ready to be winged. I was told that because he was a preemie and not laching on he could hinder my milk supply. Ive been taking Fenugreek and have noticed more milk when i pump. Will I be able to make enough milk for him by just pumping ?

Thanks
    Tristen's Mom

Default Re: Please Help

First, hugs to you

There are mons that pump exclusively, and can do this for a very long time. Hope they reply to you !!! I am not one of them (I pump at work.... like right now ), but I wouldn't see why you can not maintain a good supply.... make sure you have a good pump. I used Medela PIS.

You can do it, you have done it aleardy for a month

It is definitely possible to exclusively pump, but it's not easy, and you may have difficulty with supply. Have you met with anyone in person to see if you can improve the latch and get baby back to the breast? Preferably a lactation consultant who is board certified if you can.

Nursing is a learning process for both baby and mom, so it is possible that breastfeeding directly is something your premature baby may grow into if you keep trying with it and get some good help.

If you do decide to exclusively pump, I don't mean to suggest that's a bad thing to do - it is really a wonderful thing for you to commit to. But I think there's a good chance you could get back to the breast which would be a lot easier on you in the long run, so I'd hate for you to give up on the idea too quickly. Let us know how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tristensmommy View Post
    Please help

Ive been breast feeding for 4 weeks now. My son was a preemie and i have flat nipples. He gets really frustrated when he tries to nurse and doesn't lach on very well. Ive been pumping and giving him the breast milk through the bottle. He does alot better with it this way. My concern is that i will not have enough milk for him as he gets older. I plan to breast feed till he is ready to be winged. I was told that because he was a preemie and not laching on he could hinder my milk supply. Ive been taking Fenugreek and have noticed more milk when i pump. Will I be able to make enough milk for him by just pumping ?
    Hi mama! Congrats on your LO.

How early was your LO? Was he in the hospital for very long? Was he on a ventilator, NG tube, bottle fed there?

What kind of pump are you using now?

It is very typical for preemies to have trouble latching in the beginning. They tend not to "get it" till around their due date. I pumped and bottle fed for 2 months until my LO got it down, and then he was fine. So it is certainly not too late!

One thing that will help is skin to skin...all the time. I kangarooed him whenever I was holding him. We took baths together, I let him have unlimited access to the nipple. At first he didn't do much, but having it there made it familiar to him and he would start rooting.

It IS very difficult to EP, and yes, it can be very common for you to lose supply with just the pump. Not to discourage you from doing that, but I would try to get him back to the breast first!
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; July 10th, 2009 at 12:58 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

he was a 34 weeker no thankfully he was breathing on his on....
    He was completely natural no pain meds we were on the NG tube for a few days we spent almost 2 weeks there and we did bottle feed a few times but he was BM in the NG tube and in the bottle...he has had no formula. He did take from the breast a few times great but not consistently we are up to about 3.5 oz a feeding and eatting every 3 hours his doing great with the BM in the bottle...we have past the 6lb mark ! But i worry about my supply. I have also met with several LS both in the NICU and at home and he will nurse great a few times then he almost gives up. My pump was provided by WIC so its a hospital pump.
    Tristen's Mommy
    June 13, 2009 Beautiful Baby Boy
    and loving it !
    Made it 15 weeks !

Just give him time mama. If you keep up with the pumping in the meantime your supply will be there when he is ready. So he is 38 weeks now? He is almost there. Seriously my LO one day couldn't do it and the next day he did! Just keep him close, lots of skin to skin, and always offer him the breast to let him practice...even if he doesn't get it, he will soon!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I breastfed my 1st child for 6 weeks then went to pumping all the time. I had enough milk and even some to freeze...it is possible to just pump, but it is a commitment too because your supply can go down. This 2nd time around for me, I am trying to nurse and pump--8 weeks so far No one ever told me how challenging breastfeeding could be, but hang in there! The benefits definitely outway everything else
    GL!!!

Just alittle update!
    We have finally got it down ! his been taking all his feedings from the breast...and over 8lbs his growning like a little piggie ! ive stoped pumping at night * to get more sleep* and pumping only durring the day when i have some help. Thanks for all the advice
    Tristen's Mommy
    June 13, 2009 Beautiful Baby Boy
    and loving it !
    Made it 15 weeks !