Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Juggling work and breastfeeding

Default Re: Juggling work and breastfeeding

I'm not sure if you're still reading this post, but I also teach and I pumped for 6 mo. for my lo and then hand expressed for her for another 5 mo. I pumped during my afternoon prep - and I was able to get enough milk for her for 6 mo. After that I would hand express twice in the bathroom (it took about 5 min. in the morning when I would take a very quick bathroom break) and about 10 minutes during my afternoon prep. After 6 mo. I had to supplement on some days with frozen milk that I had stored up along the way. But my lo never had to have formula and she is still nursing after 1 year (we are home together now for the summer). You CAN do this. I personally wouldn't say that it was easy or even fun, but it was rewarding and I am very glad that I did it. Please feel free to pm me if you have questions as I also pumped for my first lo while teaching for 3 mo. Good luck!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamulinka2 View Post
    I will have to speak to him instead of jumping to conclusions--who knows, he may be more supportive if all 3 of us go to him
    Thanks again fellow mommas!!!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I'm new to the board but feel proud to be able to post a response to this thread as I am doing this as well!! My DS is 3 1/2 mos and I went back to working full time when he was 8wks. I am lucky in the childcare area though, as I have family coming into my home keeping him for me during the day! I started pumping when he was a week old, mostly to relieve engorgement as I was overproducing then (as much as 12 oz per pump..and he only took 1-2 oz per feeding!!) so I got a very sufficient supply built up in the freezer to help start the bottle feeding when I went back to work. Since I've started back, our schedule has pretty much been like this:

6:00am-wake, nurse, get ready for work

7:30am-nurse again if DS is awake, leave for work

9:30am-DS gets bottle of EBM

11:00am-lunch break, drive home and nurse (i live 15 min from work so I only have 30 min to eat and nurse, but he ALWAYS nurses, even if he's not really "hungry" and just wants the real thing instead of a rubber nipple LOL)

2:00-3:00pm-DS gets bottle of EBM and I pump at work at some point during this period, usually getting about 9-10 oz (he takes 4 oz a time during the 2 bottles he gets each day so this works perfect!)

5:00pm-leave work, get home and nurse around 5:30pm

5:30-8:30-nurse on demand, until he falls asleep

10:30-DS usually wakes to nurse around 1030 or 11, and he goes back and forth from his bed to ours, whatever I end up feeling like depending on how asleep I am LOL. He nurses 2-3 times a night, although last night only once!! Woo hoo!

Then we wake again and start all over!

I am very blessed to have things go this well, and to say that he has only had 2 bottles of formula since birth and has latched on and nursed SO well since the first hour of birth! I really had doubts when I started breastfeeding and am very pleased and surprised by how well I have done with it!! My mom did not breastfeed me and also was not very optimistic when I decided to breastfeed, just because I have never really been much of a motivated person and we both didn't think I could "handle" the demand of it I guess LOL. My MIL on the other hand breastfed my DH and her other 2 younger kids, and was totally behind me! Along with 2 of my best friends that just had babies and were nursing them too! I have done a good job of convincing my mom I think just because he's so healthy (minus one ear infection) and it's SOOOO much cheaper and more convenient!! She's really been interested in seeing me pump and drive home to nurse and seeing him go crazy when I come home and he's rooting around on me LOL! Of course, it's HILARIOUS when he roots around on her too LOL!! Anyway, just thought I'd post my info on here! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blue2000 View Post
    So for me, co-sleeping was not the answer. I know for a lot of people, it works great, but my DS, and by extension, my DH and I, we all sleep better if DS is in his crib about ten feet away from us. We're all pretty light sleepers, and DS was becoming more and more active, so it was hard. I love snuggling with him, and do so a ton, but for us the answer was putting my DS in a crib. Just another perspective. My schedule is this:

4:45-5:00: wake up, shower. If DS wakes, nurse, otherwise leave him sleeping
    5:15: leave for work.
    6:00: start work; if I didn't nurse before I left, I pump. I also pump if I know I'm going to have a super busy day
    9:00-11:00: pump again
    1:00-2:00: pump again
    5:00: pump again
    6-6:30: leave work
    6:30-7: home, offer to nurse, though he sometimes is uninterested
    8:00: DS goes to sleep; by this time, he often has nursed 2-3X since I've been home, and always nurses to sleep
    11 PM: nurse
    3 AM: nurse

And the day starts again. I'm lucky in that I'm not limited in production by supply issues, rather by my availability to pump. My days are long and unpredictable, and this is my best case scenario for pumping; sometimes I only pump twice.

It is hard work, and I won't miss pumping when I'm done. DS is seven months, and I'm starting to think about when I'll stop pumping, if not BFing. I'd rather avoid formula, since we've gotten so far EBF, but we'll see. Sometimes I wonder how long I can keep up this pace, but then he smiles up at me as he nurses, and I figure I can do anything that leads to that smile.
    Hi! Ellen mama surgeon: I would like to know how you find the time to breast pump. I am an obgyne resident and our shcedule is quite imprevisible. My baby will be 11 months when I am back to work, I may need to pump once during the day, but even to find 20 minutes to pump, seems like a huge mountain. I often barely have the time to eat. Surgical field can also be very unpredictable. How do you find to be a mother and a doctor at the same time? I am scared that my profession may take most of the mommy that grew inside of me...

I know there have been lots of responses, but I wanted to share my experience as well, since it has been working out very well and I had all the same questions before I went back to work. Also, we don't co-sleep or reverse cycle.

Here is our schedule:

Wake: 6am NURSE
    Leave for work 7:30am
    Between 9:30-10:30 PUMP
    Between 12:30-1:30 PUMP
    Sometimes squeezing in another pump around 3pm, most times not
    4:30/5pm Home-NURSE
    Bath, book, one more nursing session, then bed by 6:30pm
    9:00pm PUMP
    10:00pm Bed for me
    Up usually 1-2x/night to nurse (usually just once around 2am)

I pump between 3-5oz per pumping session, average being 4.5oz. I leave three 5oz bottles for him during the day, but most days he just drinks two of the three bottles especially now that his naps are getting longer. So far, we haven't needed to supplement at all.

Pumping at work gets easier with time--it just becomes part of your day, and seems less and less cumbersome. You just have to make the time, think ahead, and try to anticipate busy afternoons and pump before things get too crazy. It IS possible, and if you are determined, you can make it possible. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaresident View Post
    Hi! Ellen mama surgeon: I would like to know how you find the time to breast pump. I am an obgyne resident and our shcedule is quite imprevisible. My baby will be 11 months when I am back to work, I may need to pump once during the day, but even to find 20 minutes to pump, seems like a huge mountain. I often barely have the time to eat. Surgical field can also be very unpredictable. How do you find to be a mother and a doctor at the same time? I am scared that my profession may take most of the mommy that grew inside of me...
    It is HARD! My DS is seven months old, and though I love breast feeding, I am tired of the stress of pumping. I use the lactation room at work, which has access to a phone, so I often return pages as I pump (sometimes people ask me what that noise is in the background...I don't have the courage to tell them what it actually is). I plan my day around pumping; if I know I have a long morning case, I pump right before. I sneak out of clinic to pump, I pump as soon as I'm done in the OR, etc. etc. etc. Basically, it has to be my top priority other than immediate patient care. I'm lucky, because up until now I've had no real issues with supply. It's starting to slow down, but so far I've managed to keep up. Finding time to pump is stressful and exhausting at times, but really worth it.

As for the profession beating the momma out of me? All I have to do is get home, pick up my DS, and have him pull at my shirt and make his nursing face. It's the best way for us to snuggle, and such an amazing way to reconnect after long busy days for me. My family has chosen to start solids at six months, and I think realistically he'll be weaned around a year. That's my compromise, but each day we nurse is another treasure.

I don't know how I do it. I just do, and it seems to have not fallen apart completely.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start