Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with the comments

Default Re: Dealing with the comments

What I usually just tell people is that the Canadian Pediatric Society and the World Health Organization now recommend a minimum of 2 years of breastfeeding. Quite a mouthful, but usually people don't know quite what to say to that, they wouldn't argue with a doctor, would they? I also state my breastfeeding goal which is to nurse DS for a minimum of 2 years. This was my personal goal before I knew of the CPS and WHO's recommendations. I state it clearly and confidently and I think if I have confidence and respect in myself that shows others something too.

Incidentally, I got lots of questions when DS was around 9 months-1 year b/c this is the time when alot of babies stop nursing. Haven't got so many questions recently.

Your husband thinks weaning your baby will help your sex life. This is so untrue. If anything, having to deal with a baby who's no longer getting the antibodies from your milk and has a high fever for 5 days in a row....or a baby who wakes up several times in the middle of the night and won't go back to sleep b/c the boob is gone...now that's stuff that will affect your sex life.

As for 'babying' a baby, there's plenty of people all over the world that think this is exactly what you should do!
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; July 10th, 2009 at 12:46 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Halfasianmomma View Post
    My DD will be one this Sunday and I've been getting comments about weaning her since she was six months old. Obviously, I've been ignoring them, but now they come from my DH AND my parents, and it's starting to be hard on me. I never really gave a thought to WHEN I'd wean, I just figure I'd *try* to nurse for 2 months and then see. At the 2 month mark, it suddenly got super easy so I kept going. Since DD isn't a super enthusiastic eater, I figured it's good for her to keep getting mama's milk, for as long as she wants it.
    I so know what you mean. My DD has just turned one, and while I've not had anyone saying I should stop breastfeeding, I do get the question "Are you still feeding her?" quite often. I find it funny that they won't even say are you breastfeeding her. I'm so tempted to say "no, we just let her forage for nuts and berries"

Fortunately my DH is supportive. I've asked him if he has any problem with it, and he's said no. I'm thinking of starting weaning around 18 - 24 months.

I also had no idea how long we'd nurse for when we started, just figured I'd do it, and it's gone great, so we've kept at it.

Also have days when she gets fussy with her food, and won't eat, so I love it that she's still getting a great feed from me.

As to comments, I just say that the WHO recommends breastfeeding to 2 years, as their immune system is still immature.
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooligator View Post
    I find it funny that they won't even say are you breastfeeding her. I'm so tempted to say "no, we just let her forage for nuts and berries"

It's really funny how people sort themselves out - some people I would have supposed would be really squeamish are totally cool with it, and others have surprised me by being weird about it.

What's neat is when people squash down their feelings: We were at the zoo with my PIL, and DS fell. No blood or anything, but he needed to comfort nurse, so I sat on a bench and nursed him. For a long time - he was pretty shaken up. MIL sat by me and chatted! I know that she isn't comfortable with my nursing him, but she put it aside for the sake of our relationship. She's not my favorite person in the world, but this definitely raised her in my estimation!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*merrick View Post
    "Michael Jordan nursed until he was three, so I'm planning on continuing until he is able to dunk like Michael Jordan. When do you think that will be?"
    How did I miss this the first time I read this thread? This is SO COOL!!!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    How did I miss this the first time I read this thread? This is SO COOL!!!
    LOL I think I read this too in "So that's what their for" it goes on to say that Michael Jackson (rest his soul) was not breastfed.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

OK I'm gulible, did Michael Jorday REALLY nurse till he was three? You guys can laugh at me just not too hard!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmamaof3 View Post
    OK I'm gulible, did Michael Jorday REALLY nurse till he was three? You guys can laugh at me just not too hard!
    Yes he really did. And his mom says she thinks it helped make him the athlete he is.

I wonder if Lance Armstrong was BF.

In the Mothering Magazine article about breastfeeding in Mongolia, it says that their champion wrestlers are nursed until 7yo!!!

You know that's really helpful info for me b/c here in TX sports are a religion so if I have that ammo for my informational arsenal about bfing then it really might make more of a difference in some people's opinions...for real and I think it's funny but kinda sad .

Thanks!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I don't mean to sound "anti-men" or anything, but I'm tired of how many men cite sex issues as reasons to stop breastfeeding a baby/child. They put themselves above a baby and it seems almost like they're jealous of the nurturing a baby gets. I'm just frustrated at the lack of understanding many men have for the women in their lives. Sometimes we'd like to have sex but we put it aside and control ourselves because we prioritize baby first. It's not like men are the only ones who want sex. And what can you do when your drive isn't back yet? One person in another thread mentioned "wine and lube" but it sounded like the man was happy just to use the woman in a masturbatory way and she wasn't even involved at all. A "just shut him up and get it over with" sort of thing. I couldn't imagine using my husband that way.

Breastfeeding is really important for so many reasons that sex just doesn't even come close.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post

Your husband thinks weaning your baby will help your sex life. This is so untrue. If anything, having to deal with a baby who's no longer getting the antibodies from your milk and has a high fever for 5 days in a row....or a baby who wakes up several times in the middle of the night and won't go back to sleep b/c the boob is gone...now that's stuff that will affect your sex life.
    I don't think some men think of it that way. It's about them getting their needs met at the cost of their child's health and well being. Maybe if they understood the cost vs. benefit model here it would help, but I don't know.
    Last edited by @llli*momo; September 14th, 2009 at 08:46 AM.