Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dealing with the comments

Default Re: Dealing with the comments

Ooh, I'm so sorry! I'm sorry that you have to deal with ridiculous comments, and unfortunatley these are not all that uncommon. I am still nursing my almost 2yr old daughter, am pregnant, and have found that the people who made the worse commetns were my own family. What I have learned, however and more importantly is that they are bystanders in this journey, and you my dear are doing and giving the most unbeleivable gift to your child for the rest of her life. Many that make comments are uneducated about the breastfeeding experience and make comments because they have no experience. In addition, breastfeeding is a longterm commitment to mother, child, and even the whole family. A women who makes this sacrifice to put her child first can push a button of guilt in other women who made the choice not to breastfeed. I learned this first hand from some bottle-feeding mothers, that their comments and judgments were driven by feelings of guilt and inadequacy as a mother. I was doing somehting they "should" have done, or "could" have done. I tell you, keep reaching out to other breastfeeding mothers, like on this forum or friends that have reached the goals you want to reach, and ignore the comments. As for your hubby, use your time with im to educate him. There are many great articles out there and on this site, to show your husband. The breastfeeding journey is a short one, in the bigger picture of life, and HIS darling child is reaping the greatest health benefit you can give her. Tell him, if anything, in today's flu season, your DD's best protection is that miracle mama's milk!!!

Good luck sweetheart, and keep up the GREAT work! You know in your heart what is best...just trust your soul, your heart, and your mothering. You WILL always do what is best!!! You already have
    Mother of Averi Michele 10/18/2007, , and still! wait, it's more like...

I also at work for 14 months, and made so much we donated to the international breastmilk project! 200 ounces!

We love to

I can't believe anyone would have the gall to make comments about such a personal decision! Seriously! I'm lucky to have supportive parents, ILs, and doctor, but I certainly don't give a rip what anyone else thinks about my deicsion to keep nursing DS past age 1.

Someone here mentioned her mother didn't BF because of the lack of 'freedom' if she had done so...if you read What To Expect, the pros of BF and FF are discussed. Almost all of the BF pros are beneficial to the baby (PLUS benefits for mom like faster wt loss, etc.!) and ALL the pros of FF are beneficial to the MOM ONLY! And since when did having a baby mean you still got to be 'free'?

Sorry, that turned into a total vent/rant!
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Thumbs up Re: Dealing with the comments

Unfortunately we live in a bottle feeding society ( here in Ireland anyway!) and it's just not the 'norm' to bf! I think once you educate yourself ( and anyone else that will listen) that's half the battle! Ignorance is bliss in some peoples eyes but it shouldn't be when it comes to certain matters such as breastfeeding. - Sorry if my message is short as I've just been side tracked by LO's a couple of times! Take care and continue doing the great job you are doing!!!

I'm really sorry you are dealing with this.

I'm very fortunate having a supporting family and DH. If I didn't, it wouldn't bother me much (I just wouldn't let them know ) but I see a huge problem with your DH not supporting you. I think I would make it VERY clear to him that I will keep BF and show him some research on EBF. Maybe he will change his mind?
    28 y/o, happy wife to C
    doula, placenta lady, lactivist, non- vax, , , mommy to H (7/08)
    **Swagbucks anyone?** **Search, earn, redeem**