Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If I have plenty of fresh, do I toss the frozen?

Default If I have plenty of fresh, do I toss the frozen?

I've read that fresh pumped breastmilk is nutritionally superior to that which has previously been frozen. So, if I have plenty of fresh breastmilk, do I toss milk in my freezer stash once it expires?

My daughter's only two months old, so I'm not at the point where anything has expired yet, but I've got this massive freezer stash and so far I haven't had to dip into it at all (and hope my supply stays up enough to keep it that way). I'm trying to figure out what to do when the time comes.

I don't want to freeze the fresh milk I have and feed her frozen if it's got less of the "good stuff" in it after being frozen. Also, the milk I pumped the day before is bound to be more "age appropriate" than milk I pumped a couple months earlier, so there's that factor, as well.

I've looked into donating and it seems like everyone wants 150+ oz at a time. I'm willing to donate, but I don't want to leave myself with no backup stash. Plus, I'm seeing that milk banks require each serving to be from a single pumping, and mine are not. I combine let-down milk gathered in a milk catcher over 3-4 feedings into a single 4 oz serving and freeze that.

Default Re: If I have plenty of fresh, do I toss the frozen?

I'd say keep it until you no longer need it. Anything could happen and you don't want to be caught with nothing.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna.alive View Post
    My daughter's only two months old, so I'm not at the point where anything has expired yet, but I've got this massive freezer stash and so far I haven't had to dip into it at all (and hope my supply stays up enough to keep it that way). I'm trying to figure out what to do when the time comes.
    I thought this same thing. I had a huge freezer stash. Once I went back to work everything changed and I ended up using all of it.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

In the beginning it's so easy to think "no way will I need all this milk!" But like Hilary mentioned, I too had sooo much milk when DH was little, I could pump way more than he needed but after pumping for 15 months I wasn't keeping up (well barely hanging on) and I used up all my freezer stash. If you have a deep freezer it'sgood for 1 year and even frozen BM is better than formula!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    In the beginning it's so easy to think "no way will I need all this milk!" But like Hilary mentioned, I too had sooo much milk when DH was little, I could pump way more than he needed but after pumping for 15 months I wasn't keeping up (well barely hanging on) and I used up all my freezer stash. If you have a deep freezer it'sgood for 1 year and even frozen BM is better than formula!
    Unfortunately no, we don't have a deep freezer, so after 4 months or so, I'm told this stuff is kaput.

I believe you can go 6 months in a regular freezer.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I know you want your LO to have the very best, but honestly, as far as I know, the frozen stuff is just as good as fresh. Could you just start rotating your freezer stash? That is, freeze your fresh milk, and unthaw the oldest milk to feed to your LO? That way you don't end up with a bunch of frozen milk that you can't use.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna.alive View Post
    Unfortunately no, we don't have a deep freezer, so after 4 months or so, I'm told this stuff is kaput.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I believe you can go 6 months in a regular freezer.
    12 months is now considered acceptable (with 6 months being ideal) in a *regular* freezer (just not in the door) so your milk still has a lot of life! http://www.llli.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html