Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hates car seat please help me

Default Hates car seat please help me

My LO is 5 1/2. I work full time. I have to drive 30min to 40 min to get to work and then back home at the end of the day.

The past two weeks my LO has been screaming in his carseat the whole way, both ways and I am about to loose my mind.

The worst part is that I can't help him. I can't hold him and comfort him because I am driving.

I checked for comfort, I hung a toy up, I play classical music, I tried white noise, I tried rolling the window down and nothing works.

I am getting desperate. I thought about quitting my job but if I do we will loose our house and our health insurance because those two things depend on my job.

He gets himself so worked up that today for the first day when I dropped him off at daycare he cried the minute I put him down. My child is going to associate miserable with being with me because I put him through this every day and he is going to hate me. What do I do? I am so distraught.

Listening to my child cry for 30 to 40 minutes twice a day and not being able to do anything abou it is horrible. I can't handle it.

Default Re: Hates car seat please help me

I meant 5 1/2 months old, not years. I forgot to write that.

Can you think of anything that might be different than before? You can also check out www.car-seat.org the site is geared towards car seats and lots of mama's can help with suggestions on how to help with your LO
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

My dd did that from the time she was tiny untill she was about 3.
    IF you've tried diffent things to help try not to feal bad about it.
    HEs not going to hate you!

I am so sorry it's making you both miserable. I know how that feels to have them screaming like that

I have a few ideas.

Is there a way you can leave 15-20 minutes earlier and drive for 15 minutes, stop feed cuddle and snuggle with baby and then continue your trip?

Can you wake baby up earlier so that drive can become a cat nap for him?

Can you find childcare closer to your home?

Soon enough he'll be able to manipulate toys and that can keep him busy for a little while too
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Double check the car seat too.. maybe something is poking him?
    When we went up to a convertible car seat my LO had a much easier time. I think that they are more comfortable than the bucket style infant seats.
    He won't hate you!! Your a good mom, I know this because your trying everything in your power to make it better.

I agree with the pp's... if your LO is big enough (and you haven't done it already), you might consider moving him up to a rear-facing convertible carseat. My LO outgrew her infant "bucket" carseat at about 6 months. I know once my LO could see out the window better in her convertible carseat, she was MUCH happier in the car. Also, sometimes singing songs to her (not playing the radio) was the only thing that kept my LO happy. I remember singing "Old MacDonald had a farm" over and over and over... But I would have rather been singing songs than listening to my baby scream, so I just sucked it up and did it. Also, not sure how you feel about this one, but you might consider trying to give your LO a pacifier for use in the car.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Thanks everybody.

I am going to try to switch to a convertible car seat and I'll try singing to him too.

And if that doesn't work then I will try driving for a few minutes, stop to nurse, then drive more see if that works.

I am going to try one of those mirrors too where he can see me.

If none of this works then I will pick a daycare closer to home.

I've been using the daycare across the street from my work because this way I can nurse him during lunch, but its not worth it if I have to make him suffer in a car seat that he hates for 30 to 40min twice a day, every day for 5 days a week.

I wanted to chime in and let you know that absolutely nothing we did made DS okay with the carseat until he was 12mo. Mirrors, shorter trips, singing, tapes, toys - nothing. The day we turned it around (yes, I know we could've waited but I decided it was more dangerous to have a distracted mama listening to screams nonstop than a forward-facing seat) the screams stopped. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it's a while away still.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png