Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Where to start...

Default Where to start...

Right now I nurse Joey at 630am. She gets a bottle of EBM at 9a, 1p, 4p. I then nurse her when we get home at 6pm and before bed at 730/8pm. She LOVES to nurse first thing in the morning and as SOON as we get home. I really cherish the times right before bed and I have no plan to give that up.

At work I pump around 10am (3-4ozs) and at 2pm (3-4ozs). I usually also pump right before bed at 11pm. My boss just told me today that Joey, along with a few others, will be moving to the toddler room on August 3rd. That's 3.5 weeks away...as is her 1st birthday She is starting to take a few steps, and her room is getting to be a little too busy for the younger babies in there.

My question is...how do I wean her from the bottles? There are no bottles in the toddler room. She has not figured out the sippy cup. I've tried several kinds. She's already on the smaller side and I hate the idea of her not drinking but sips of liquid all day.

Also, how do I wean from pumping? Should I just try to go down to 1 session a day around 12noon? And if so...WHEN do I decrease my pumping? Its all a little confusing I am have a hard time dealing with the fact that she is moving up into the toddler room
    Last edited by @llli*Leslie; July 7th, 2009 at 02:03 AM.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: Where to start...

Are you on board with all this?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Have you tried her on a straw sippy, Leslie? That's the only way we got Roxie onto anything but the boob

As far as the pumping goes, I know I've read on here that lots of Mamas pump wean around a year, so I'm sure it won't be a problem. How's she doing with solids?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I second the straw sippy. And if she's not ready to drink from a cup, and she needs the milk, then I say fight her moving to the toddler room for another month or two, and let her have a bottle. Or let her have a bottle in the toddler room. Coming from a mama with 2 small babies, they NEED it. No sense in pushing weaning too hard!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

have you tried the nuby soft sippy? it's almost a bottle, it was all Silas would drink BM from after we stopped the bottles.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

we had the best luck with the nuby soft sippy. I would also ask if she could stay in the same room for another month or two.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moose View Post
    I second the straw sippy. And if she's not ready to drink from a cup, and she needs the milk, then I say fight her moving to the toddler room for another month or two, and let her have a bottle. Or let her have a bottle in the toddler room. Coming from a mama with 2 small babies, they NEED it. No sense in pushing weaning too hard!

On pump weaning, when you get there, I'd suggest going to two sessions per day, as evenly spaced as possible, until your breasts adjust to the change, then going down to one at lunch. Personally, I still pump once per day most days, even though I have a ton of frozen milk and don't really need the ebm, because it keeps me comfortable and fresh milk is preferable to frozen. I did completely pump wean with DD1 at about 13 months or so, but I ended up with a plugged duct and infection shortly thereafter so I wouldn't say it was a great success. That was before I found out about lecithin, though. You might want to take that if you have any history of plugged ducts. Anyway, I think keeping one session if you can is a positive because it ensures fresh milk for Joey and keeps you comfy/helps prevent plugs.

Wow, I'm all rambly.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Your pumping schedule sounds identical to mine, when my LO was that age. What I did was drop the morning pumping session, and then do my afternoon session a little earlier in the day. Then I gradually moved it later in the day, until I just skipped it all together and just nursed my LO when I got home. It was actually a LOT easier than I thought it would be, and I never experienced any engorgement (and yes, I was on dom at that time.)

As for Joey not taking a sippy cup... I was SO worried about that very thing, as my LO resisted the sippy cup very much. She would drink *some* water out of a sippy, but pretty much refused to drink any milk (BM or cow's milk) out of a sippy when she was moving up to the pre-toddler room at about 13 months of age. All the caregivers kept telling me not to worry, that once she saw all the other kids drinking from their sippy, that she would jump right on board and follow suit. And guess what? She did. I did send a bottle of BM for about the first week she was in the toddler room, and they did use it a few times, but she picked up drinking milk out of a sippy WAY faster and better than I thought she would.

Here's a suggestion for you... find out what kind of sippy cups they are using in the toddler room Joey will be moving to and start practicing at home (with either water or breastmilk or whatever.) At my DD's daycare, they just use the most basic, plain sippy cup you can imagine, no fancy spouts or anything. Just the plain jane, plastic cup with a lid and spout opening. It was pretty easy for my DD to pick it up, and she REALLY surprised me. I think Joey will surprise you too.

Good luck mama!! I know you and Joey can do it!!!!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    Are you on board with all this?
    YES! She is talking a step here or there...so she isn't 100% walking. BUT, she's climbing and trampling the younger babies. She's been "visiting" the toddler room in the afternoon and she's quite happy there. Lots of cool new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    Have you tried her on a straw sippy? How's she doing with solids?
    I have tried the nuby straw sippy. She just chews on it Maybe a different brand?

In RE: to solids....she eats everything in sight. She had homemade mac n cheese today with some deer sausage and grapes for lunch. We are going to TRY to cut out her 1pm (right after lunch) bottle first.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    have you tried the nuby soft sippy? it's almost a bottle, it was all Silas would drink BM from after we stopped the bottles.
    She will chew on this type of cup...but she doesn't get to suck out of it yet.

I talked to one of the teachers in the toddler room (I used to work in that room and I her) and she said that if she still needs a bottle they can give her one. So I'm a little relieved.

Now I get to go buy Miss Joey her first pair of "real" shoes because they are out on the playground 2x a day.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Ok, so this is where we're at. I have stopped pumping During the week I nurse Joey when she wakes up. She JUST started taking a sippy cup in the last week. She will take a few ounces a day of whole milk at daycare. She gets 1 bottle of EBM until my freezer stash runs out(about 1 more week). I nurse her on my lunch break at work.

She moves up to the toddler room on Monday. She has REALLY increased her solids at daycare. I guess she's making up for not having the bottles.

I then nurse her as soon as we get home and then before bed. So that's 4x/day during the week. On the weekends I nurse her 6-8x/day

I can finally say that I'm at peace with our arrangement. I want to nurse her until she weans...and I feel like she is definitely more interested these days!

**Leslie**

Mama to: