Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Planning the next 3 months....

Default Planning the next 3 months....

LO is now 9 months old and doing great. She's 21 lbs and in the 85th percentile!!! Not bad for a 34 week, 2 day premie!!

I'm going back to work when she turns 1 year old. I need to wean her back to just nursing in the morning, when I get home (11 hours) and before bed (although I can nurse her as many times as she needs, I won't be home until 6pm so if she stays on schedule for her sleep, I can't see her nursing much more than that). I also need to switch her away from nursing while laying down for naps.

I want it to be as painless as possible. I've got 3 months. How do I:

1. Cut her nursings down from 6 sessions down to 3, with an 11 hour break between? Do I have to replace them with something else?

2. Switch from nursing down for naps to not? Will she need it to be a bottle of EBM? Or can it be something else? How do you get your 1 year olds down for naps without nursing?

3. From my understanding, she won't need EBM at that age because she'll get enough in just the 3 nursings I can provide. Is this true? Will she be okay with just water and at that time, milk during the day?

I'd really like to get away from pumping. My work is very high stress and time line driven. I know I'll miss pumping sessions. It would be best if I just moved forward assuming that I can't pump at work.

I need to have a plan here. I'm a planner by nature and I haven't the slightest clue of how to go about this. It's a big source of anxiety for me at the moment. I wish I didn't have to go back to work but there's no way we can swing it financially.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Planning the next 3 months....

Don't worry about it. And really at this point focus more on making sure you are getting her to the point where she is eating more solid foods and taking water with her meals. If you focus on getting more solid food into her, then it doesn't have to be about weaning her. It can be about what she is eating during a day and that she is getting sustainable nutrition from said solids. She will still probably nurse more than 3 times a day on your days off. And YOU shouldn't really worry about trying to get her to nap without nursing. Because when you are with her, you can still do that. She will not expect whoever is taking care of her in your absence to nurse her. Because she will know that person is not you.
    If you are very worried about that, you can start leaving her with your DH for periods of time on the weekends and let him have at putting her to sleep. Or begin doing some trial runs with her DCP.That is really all you can do. You are to be her main source of nutrition up until the year point so you don't really want to be cutting out any sessions. Just focus thoroughly on the ritual of solids.
    And honestly when you get there you will see....one is really still a baby. And when weaning BEGINS. In that you will probably feel unsure of solids food real ability to wholly sustain your baby and feel glad that you have breast milk to fall back on to fill the gaps. AND I know that when I went back at 14months I NEEDED to nurse him to reconnect and I was HAPPY to do it both up and down from naps on our days together. And More. And he would nurse much much more on our days together. Like he would still nurse 8-10x on our off days together. But on the 5 days a week I was away from him for 9-10 hours there was no issue. Because he was eating 3 solid meals plus 2 snacks by 10 months and was drinking water with all his meals. So while away from me he drank a sippy of water and had his 2snacks and lunch. And went to sleep in a room with other kids even though he had never done it before. And would/does lay down with whoever is keeping him alone at home and just falls asleep with them snuggling him. He expects no breastfeeding or nursing from anyone else. And still sleeps.
    So really you will probably be nursing more than 3x in a 24hour period. So you will be fine as far as no other milk.
    It's a hard thing to leave your child and make the change. And you will miss her. And it will be hard. But you WILL have the bond you have been working on for a year and it will make the transition much easier. The ability to reconnect at the end of the day was the only reason I was able to continue to go wot work really. Don't get to attached to the idea of only three feedings a day. It really will probably average out to be much more than that for a while.

Way too lazy for formula

Shelly said it all and I totally agree with it. The only thing I'd add is that you might plan to pump only the first few weeks of work, just enough to keep yourself comfortable. Or at least bring a pump with you just in case you get engorged.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Shelly said it all and I totally agree with it. The only thing I'd add is that you might plan to pump only the first few weeks of work, just enough to keep yourself comfortable. Or at least bring a pump with you just in case you get engorged.
    Bring it JIC. But if you are really down to six times a day I don't anticipate major problems. But the year point your body is very good at making just enough. I was feeding on demand 8-12x a day until the day I went back. I took my pump in the car with me. I never go engorged and never had to use it. If you don't want to pump while at work, try to make it through EVEN if you DO get very full. Because it's supply and demand. So if you don't pump during the 11 hours you are away, your body will get the message within a week that it should not be producing during this time. I did very full. But I never got engorged and I never needed to pump.

Way too lazy for formula