Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: STILL having problems with pumping (long)

Question STILL having problems with pumping (long)

I'm ready to just scream as nothing seems to be working.
    I exclusively pumped for 6 months with my first LO. No problems. I had enough milk to feed twins.
    I exclusively breastfed my second LO for about 10.5 weeks. When I went back to work, I pulled out my trusty Medela PIS. My milk production was bad and getting worse. I never felt "empty" after pumping. So, I decided to try the Avent Isis Duo ($249!!!). Fabulous. My milk production skyrocketed. But I noticed soreness. At first, I attributed it to my LO's newly acquired distractability -- she would look around without unlatching.
    Eventually I realized it was the plastic inserts in the Avent. So I took them out. No healing was happening and things got worse.
    With help from this board, I figured out that the standard size was perhaps too small. Avent only makes a standard size.
    My local BRU was very accomodating and let me exchange my Avent for the Medela PIS Advanced. I bought Large shields and ordered Extra-Large from Medela.com ($26 for overnight delivery).
    Things were improving with the large shields and new treatments. Then I noticed that I was getting sore again -- except this time the soreness was further away from the first ring of pain. Well, I thought, it's a good thing I ordered the extra large because that must be the problem.
    The Extra-Large are here and I was very happy -- Until I used them.
    Now the ring of soreness is just a little further out.
    At this point, I have cracked and bleeding (but healing) circles at the base of my nipple, a ring of soreness a little further out from there and another ring of soreness a little further from that.
    Clearly I am doing something wrong. I don't think I have the suction too high.
    I am at a loss. HELP

Default Re: STILL having problems with pumping (long)

Wow. You must be at your wits' end. I'm so sorry the problem is just moving to new places instead of going away.

I have very little experience with pumping, but I have read that a little olive oil can lubricate the points of contact between breast and shield, if friction is a problem. Have you tried this? Can an experienced pumping mom vouch for this method?

I hope this is resolved very soon -- 3 sore sites on each nipple, what agony!

--Rebecca

i have also heard that olive oil can be used to lubricate your nipples/areolas before pumping...though i haven't tried it myself.

KLW, i'm sorry that you're going through all this trouble and pain with pumping. it sounds like you did all the right things (e.g., getting larger breastshields). a little bit of soreness is to be expected during pumping (i pump 4 times a day, 10-15 minutes each session...and i have the medela PIS advanced, standard sized breastshields)...i use the highest setting...and there is a bit of soreness after pumping, but it goes away within a few minutes. maybe you should turn the suction down lower?!?!

the only other thing at this point that i can recommend is to contact your local LLL or your hospital's lactation consultant and see what they have to say about the soreness during pumping.

sorry i wasn't that much help, but i do hope it gets better for you. hang in there!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Thanks for the help! I'm going to try the olive oil. It can't hurt at this point!

Which 'XL' sheilds do you have? I ask because Medela has TWO sheilds labeled size XL. The sizes come in 24 mm (standard), 27 mm (large), 30 mm (extra large) and 36 mm (also extra large). If you don't already have the 36 mm, try those. I went through all the things you've listed and it turned out that I needed the BIGGEST size Medela makes.

I hope that helps! You sound like you are at your witts end... Good luck!

Life seems to be on the mend.
    The 30mm are doing the trick for now. I may go to the 27 mm after I heal as I think I'm not getting as much milk. I use olive oil to lubricate -- it seems to do a much better job than the Lansinoh. I also use neosporin to help heal the cracks.
    I also found out I was pumping for far too long. (Although this didn't seem to be problem for me the first time around, I guess things change.) I was pumping for 20-30 minutes at a time when I should be pumping for 15-20 minutes (or less). Until I completely heal, I'm not going to worry too much about supply. Once I heal, I'll focus on lengthening the amount of time and increasing the number of times I pump.
    EVIL AVENT!