Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRSA (staph) infection

Exclamation MRSA (staph) infection

Freaking out here...............hubby likely has a bad staph infection (pus-y, pimply yucky skin wound). His "jobs" are to both feed our lo his solid dinner and bathe him before bed every night.

He's had the infection a week now and began antibiotics Friday after seeing doc on Thursday. What are the odds our baby was exposed? LO has several bug bites but no pimply, pus-y wounds and no fever. But still, I'm afraid to sleep tonight so I can check on him constantly. I hear MRSA works fast in babies and there is a small window of time to treat before really bad stuff happens. It's Sunday night so no doctors are available until tomorrow.

Any annecdotal advice would help immensely. Thanks!
    ----------------
    First-time mother to baby Ian born January 17th, 2009; 9lbs 2oz; 21 inches; all natural birth experience
    My Blog: www.life-with-ian.blogspot.com

BF'ing for 14 months
    At Home:
    At Work:

Default Re: MRSA (staph) infection

the best way to stop the spread of any infection (including mrsa) is good hygiene. lots and lots of hand washing. is your husbands sore covered? it can be transferred in the pus, so it is best to keep it covered.
    if it was me, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it just keep an eye out for a fever or if any of your lo's spots look infected.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Yes, he keeps it covered. Man, is it grody lookin'. We wash hands often and we've put a moritorium on him feeding his solids and bathtime until he gets cured.

Thanks for the advice.

Anyone else have stories/advice?
    ----------------
    First-time mother to baby Ian born January 17th, 2009; 9lbs 2oz; 21 inches; all natural birth experience

BF'ing for 14 months
    At Home:
    At Work:

Don't stress yourself! Are you sure that it is MRSA and not just staph? Staph is very common and is on our bodies at all times. It is also what causes mastitis in women.

FWIW, our LO had impetigo (staph) and he went on a course of antibiotics and it cleared right up.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I wouldn't worry, your LO is likely not sick as long as you aren't noticing any infected-looking areas on him and he is not having fever or acting sick. I would definitely not let DH give a bath until his wound is healed - you obviously don't want your LO bathing in water that might have bacteria from DH's wound. Make sure hubby's wound is covered with a clean dressing at all times and practice good handwashing. Remember, staph is on our skin all the time and staph and MRSA are out in the community everywhere anyways - your DH just happens to have a very concentrated area of it right now.

Thank you both for the advice! How easy we first-timers freak out, right?

My lo has been bf since birth, so I know I'm giving him the best possible "antibiotic." He is also very social and visits family and friends a lot but is not in daycare, so I worry about his exposure to things when in reality, babies are exposed to stuff all the time. But man, if you saw dh's wound, you'd freak out, too.
    ----------------

BF'ing for 14 months
    At Home:
    At Work:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Don't stress yourself! Are you sure that it is MRSA and not just staph? Staph is very common and is on our bodies at all times. It is also what causes mastitis in women.

Ooooh. I didn't know that about mastitis. And no, we aren't sure it's MRSA, but a good friend who is a nurse checked it out yesterday and she thought it might be. Doc's office opens up tomorrow, so we'll get a definite diagnosis soon. Until then, *fingers crossed*.
    ----------------

BF'ing for 14 months
    At Home:
    At Work:

no biggie. deff dont lose any sleep over it. check out his big bites when he gets up in the am and before bed. if you notice any lumps or ny of the bug bites lookin yucky take him to the pedi.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tefitefi View Post
    Thank you both for the advice! How easy we first-timers freak out, right?

My lo has been bf since birth, so I know I'm giving him the best possible "antibiotic." He is also very social and visits family and friends a lot but is not in daycare, so I worry about his exposure to things when in reality, babies are exposed to stuff all the time. But man, if you saw dh's wound, you'd freak out, too.
    I freaked out too when he had the impetigo. He had sores filled with puss all over his mouth, inside and out! Yikes! When I first heard "staph" I thought the worst too!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

impetigo 2 of my 4 kids have had inpetigo...
    You'll know when they need to be seen by a doctor.
    IT just looks raw.

And one of my other ones gets poison ivy bad, and he gets raw with it.

Maybe taking over for your hubby for a few days would make you feal beter.
    Till he gets the anti-botics in his system.

Ask the doctor what you can do to prevent spreading it to each other.
    A friend of mine got special soap that was very costly but it did keep her hubby from spreading it to her kids.