Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: confused using frozen BM

Default confused using frozen BM

I'm a first time mom and have frozen BM in the Medela pump and save bags. What is the best way to thaw it...just put it in the fridge and wait for it to thaw? I've taken one out like that and I've noticed that the frozen milk really seems to separate (the cream rises to the top)...is that normal considering it probably wouldn't have separated before it froze? When I shook it up it still didn't look like fresh BM but I don't really know what it is supposed to look like.

Default Re: confused using frozen BM

You can put it in the fridge and wait for it to thaw but IME it takes a long time. If you need it quickly you can run the bag under cool water or let it sit in a cup of cool water on the counter.

It's totally normal for it to separate - fresh milk will do it too if it is sitting long enough. The apperance of the milk will vary in color sometimes too. Taste it and see if it tastes fine if you are concerned.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Just gently swirl it and the fat will mix back in. I would do that before pouring it out of the bag, and then use my finger to get any fat that still remained on the sides of the bag. (Non-homogenized milk always separates.) Also, frozen/thawed bm doesn't have the exact consistency or taste of fresh, but it's still great stuff!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks for the info! I feel better knowing that the frozen BM isn't going to be the same consistency as fresh!