Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rotating Freezer stash

Default Rotating Freezer stash

I am EPing for my surro daughter, who is 3 weeks old today. I'm making 50 oz/day and she is only drinking 20-25 oz so my freezer is getting full! I have 200 oz in the freezer and another 60 oz of refrigerated milk (we live 5 minutes apart so I take "fresh" milk over there every couple of days.) I want to use the frozen stuff within 3 months of pumping it (while adding "new" milk to the freezer stash) so I'm trying to figure out what the best way to use it will be:

a.) Start giving half frozen milk and half fresh/refrigerated every day. Is it ok to mix refrigerated milk with (thawed) frozen milk in the same bottle?

or

b.) Do all frozen milk for 2-3 days, then all fresh milk for 2-3 days...until the the "older" milk is used.

I'll probably wait until 8 weeks before I begin rotating out the older milk in the freezer, I just want to plan ahead. I think for now I'm going to donate about half of what's in my freezer. At this rate I'm going to run out of room in another week.
    Trish~homebirthing mom and surro mom to DD Kaelie (5/03) surro son Aidan (2/08) & surro daughter Ellyss Anne 6/09; Proud to EP!!

Default Re: Rotating Freezer stash

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*trishwsu View Post
    I am EPing for my surro daughter, who is 3 weeks old today. I'm making 50 oz/day and she is only drinking 20-25 oz so my freezer is getting full! I have 200 oz in the freezer and another 60 oz of refrigerated milk (we live 5 minutes apart so I take "fresh" milk over there every couple of days.) I want to use the frozen stuff within 3 months of pumping it (while adding "new" milk to the freezer stash) so I'm trying to figure out what the best way to use it will be:

a.) Start giving half frozen milk and half fresh/refrigerated every day. Is it ok to mix refrigerated milk with (thawed) frozen milk in the same bottle?

or

b.) Do all frozen milk for 2-3 days, then all fresh milk for 2-3 days...until the the "older" milk is used.

I'll probably wait until 8 weeks before I begin rotating out the older milk in the freezer, I just want to plan ahead. I think for now I'm going to donate about half of what's in my freezer. At this rate I'm going to run out of room in another week.
    First of all, to you - you are amazing!

a) It is definitely okay to mix fresh & frozen milk when serving - the only time not to mix them is storage (don't add fresh milk to frozen if you are freezing it).

b) I would probably rotate it by using some fresh & some frozen each day, or at least by the day, since fresh bm has a little more of the immunological factors than frozen does. Since bm keeps so long in a deep-freeze (6-12 mo), would it be possible for your daughter's other family to get a deep-freezer?

EPing mamas, please chime in here!! (I pumped/worked, but never EP'd.)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png