Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Offering support for long-term pumpers

Wink Offering support for long-term pumpers

Hello! Soon after the birth of my daughter I realized that she could not physically latch on to nurse. After hours "practicing" and working various lactation consultants, it was quite apparent that my daughter could not nurse from me until she had a surgery on her tongue. However, even after the surgery she would not nurse since she had taken so many bottles of breastmilk by then. I successfully breastfed my daughter for 13 months only pumping. Many lactation consultants told me that this would most likely not work, but it did. I was blessed with a wonderful milk supply and kept up with the pumping every day for 10-15 min. every 2-3 hours. I would highly recommend the Medela Pump in Style! So if you are not having success with nursing, try pumping! It was that important for me that my daughter have breastmilk, so I found something that worked for me. It was time consuming, but I just worked it in to my daily schedule and enjoyed the extra time to do more reading. Furthermore, I also got to experience the joys of bottle feeding....She wasn't tied to me for feedings and others got to feed her as well.

Good luck to any long term pumpers out there! Please let me know if I can be of assistance or support!

Shelli
    http://shelli.stayinhomeandlovinit.com

Default Re: Offering support for long-term pumpers

I too was a long-term pumper for dd #1 and didn't receive much encourgement from anyone but my husband. My daughter received my milk for 15 months. It can be done!!

Jenny

I had to pump for a few months very regularly because my daughter wouldn't nurse properly. I have a lot of admiration and respect for you ladies who pumped for so long!!!! It takes a lot of love and determination to pump like that! Thankfully our issues finally were sorted out and my daughter finally started nursing; if she hadn't I probably would have kept pumping too!

I have recently stopped pumping while at work-this week actually. C will be 1 yr old in less than 1 month, and everyone has asked how i could commit my lunch breaks for 10 months to pumping...I love my son, that's how!!! It's the best thing we can give our children and i don't think i would have done it any other way!!!! Even though i pumped everyday, i can't imagine doing it still every 2-3 hours-good job!!

Shelli,

I have an almost five month old and have been pumping since the beginning. Like you we went to multiple lactation consultants and never had success (however there wasn't need for surgery). I am currently using a hospital grade pump but purchased the Medela PIS. I am concerned I am not going to be able to keep up with my son's needs with the PIS as it is not as powerful of a pump. I am only pumping 4-5 ounces at each pumping every three or four hours. Do you have any advice? Did you keep pumping even after there was no flow to increase your supply? I generally find I am only dripping after about 6 minutes. I am scared to switch to the PIS from the hospital grade because I am afraid my supply will drop off. Can you offer any advice based on what you did? Should I pump more often?