Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quick weaning or nursing strike?

Default Quick weaning or nursing strike?

LO just turned one on Monday and I am so proud we made it a year. I had planned on slowly weaning him over the next few months and being done near 18 months. Well... lo has refused every nursing session since last night. Latching on for no more than two minutes and screaming and pushing away. We do have strange circumstances in that we are out of town which made me think he would want to continue the norm for comfort. Also I know he is teething. I don't know if this is a strike or if he is just done. How do I know the difference?

I am so sad about this being the end. I wanted to have more time to get adjusted to the idea. Not to mention I am completely full and uncomfortable and didn't bring my pump as I never use it. I think I'm going to go try to hand express a bit so I can sleep tonight. I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement and advice on how to handle a fast weaning if that is what my boy wants. Any thoughts?
    SAHM to Micah born 6-29-08 and Naomi born 10-17-10.

Default Re: Quick weaning or nursing strike?

Oh mama.... definitely a strike. Every LO behaves differently with regard to nursing while on vacaction/in a different environment. When we took our first trip away from home I was sure DS would strike, because he is very particular about where/when he wants to nurse. He surprised me by continuing to nurse without any struggle for all of his usual sessions. Your LO is surprising you with his behavior. Normal! Don't give up, if you don't want to be done yet, just keep offering, and express if you can, and then gently try to pick up where you left off when you get home.

with everything PP's said. Sounds like a strike.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Well today went much better. He still seems pretty uninterested but we got three complete sessions in today. I think it must be a strike. Hopefully now we can proceed with more of a gradual weaning. My boobs were very unhappy yesterday and this morning. I'm a little nervous about how long this could continue as we have two weeks left of our trip but I guess I just have to roll with whatever happens.

Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

How are you doing, micahs-mommy?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

This has been forever since I posted it seems but things have been crazy hectic for us. We got back from our vacation and now found out we are moving in just a month back to our home state. Luckily we learned on vacation our little one does great on the go so it should be easier than I would have thought.

On the weaning side things are going really great. It's much quicker than I originally wanted or expected but I am following him and he just seems to be done. We are down to one a day in the am. I think we will be done in a couple weeks with that one. My only problem now is feeling nauseated all day. I seriously thought I was pregnant as it is never ending but I'm not. Could this be a symptom of weaning since my hormones are changing?