Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yogurt at 9 months

Default yogurt at 9 months

Is it ok to start at 9 months? Or should i wait a month or 2 before I start. Ds will be 9 months in a couple of days

**Tricia**
    Married to DH since July '07
    Mommy to Logan born 09/10/08

Default Re: yogurt at 9 months

Well, my response is of course biased by the fact that we started yogurt at 9 months and DS turned out to have a dairy allergy. I wish we had waited until 1 year before introducing dairy. I think most of the general recommendations about what age to start dairy say 9-12 months. I wish we had waited, maybe it would have given him a little more time for his system to mature and who knows if he would have tolerated it then.

I would say, if there is any history of food allergies in your LO or your family, in general it's best to introduce allergenic foods later rather than earlier.

Our experience with yogurt was FANTASTIC. We started at about 7 mo, despite husband having dairy allergies. It was one of the very few foods that DS was wild about. We used an organic, plain yogurt (Brown Cow - Cream on Top). Eventually I would put mashed up fruit in it, and he would eat the fruit that way as it took a LONG time for him to be able to handle textures.

If your family does not have signifigant allergies, I don't think that starting a good quality yogurt at 9 mo would hurt.
    Mommy to DS - 12/29/2007 and DD - 4/11/2010
    We are taking tandem nursing day by day

We started yogurt at 6 months too. No dairy allergies in our families. It was great! Only use whole fat, you can mix fruit into the sweetened or plain and you can mix veggies into the plain.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

We started yogurt at 6mos with both kids. They both LOVED it. I'd say try a few tablespoons and see. If you get a reaction...don't give it again, ya know? If not...slowly increase the amount as baby tolerates it.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

We started yogurt (plain, whole milk, cream on top) around 9 months, and he loved it. We didn't sweeten it, and he still prefers it unsweetened, but also likes it with maple syrup. Another thing we tried (I think around 10 months) was large-curd cottage cheese. It was easy for him to pick up, and is good mixed with lots of different things.

great! thanks for the replies

**Tricia**

LO just turned 9 months on Thursday and our doctor said to start on yogurt and cheese. No milk until she's a year. We can start adding more texture to her food. As much water as she wants but no juices. I'll be going grocery shopping soon to pick up some yogurt.

I'm also not worried as neither DH or I have any food allergies.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Another question..I just looked at my yogurt in the fridge and it contains fish oil (DHA)..prob a no no to give right?

**Tricia**