Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lipase?

Default lipase?

Is there anyway for me to test if I have this problem? I just started reading about this and want to make sure this is not an issue for us.

If it is an issue any way to correct it

Default Re: lipase?

You'll know if it's a problem - the milk smells strange (either metallic, soapy or really yucky like vomit, sorry if TMI) and/or baby refuses it. With ours, it was only frozen milk or fresh after about 7 days. Some women's milk goes bad faster, some not. I used some frozen to mix with oatmeal for DD2 and it smelled rancid. It's not harmful for baby if she/he takes it, though.

ETA. Scalding it before storing usually works well to correct the issue. Look at prior postings for scalding instructions. We were lucky (after dumping over 250 oz from my freezer stash) - I'd just pump at work for the next day's dcp amounts and Friday's milk would easily last until Monday. It's unfortunately, trial and error on how long it takes for freshly expressed milk goes bad. I never had a lipase issue with DD1 - only with DD2. Chances are you will not have a problem.
    Last edited by @llli*mama-cpa; July 3rd, 2009 at 10:37 AM.

Wait so if this is an issue you will need to chuck your supply??? That is a problem! I am solely pumping for when I go back to work...So I won't know if this is a problem until I start to use the supply...

So should I be scalding the milk prior to storing just to be on the safe side

You can start testing. Take small amounts and keep in fridge. Keep smelling it daily to see if there's a problem. I would not start scalding for no reason - it does take away some of BM benefits (not much, but it's better to not deal with it - if nothing else, it's a PITA to do daily).

ETA. Take some of your oldest freezer stash and defrost and test it (smell) and see if your LO takes it. I'm sure you're fine, but testing the oldest you have on hand will tell you if you have a problem.