Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my 35 weeker...approaching EDD

Default Re: Jen, more questions for you:)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*weepip View Post
    Piggybacking on this post - Jennie, I have a similar situation to the op & have some questions...

At first, as you cut out bottles, did feedings blend into each other? When I tried a nippleshield feeding, it lasted 1 hour & she still took her regular 2 oz bottle afterwards. I know she gets some milk because she had some milk dripple from the side of her mouth. Also, if your feedings did blend together, how on earth did you pump in between?

Did weight gain slow, stop, or drop while you built feeding endurance/strength? If so, did you just keep going, or did you slow down a bit & increase bottles during the transition?

How do you know when to back off of these attempts a bit, or to go full throttle? I guess I'm still trying to discern the process (can you tell I need a formula to follow and a full step by step handbook? LOL). Thanks!
    Sarah, mom to...
    A (8 yo full term, breastfed for almost 2 yrs)
    Z (6 yo born 29 weeks, expressed breastmilk by bottle for 9mths)
    G (born 30 weeks, EDD July 5th, expressed breastmilk by bottle & trying to bf)
    Hi there - congrats on your little one! How long has your little one been home?

Feedings didn't blend into each other as I dropped bottles - once my son stopped actively sucking, I took him off. At first I went slow with dropping bottles, like 1 a day then 2 a day and as I felt more confident that he was getting what he needed at the breast, I went to him only getting like 3-4 bottles in a 24 hr period and then 2 small bottles that we just mixed his vitamins in, but I nursed him after. I felt more confident weighing my little one on a scale before and after feedings - I rented one from my local pharmacy but Target sells them now. I kept track and also weighed him once each night after his bath to get a daily weight (I was really used to that from the NICU). One thing to note - with my son, it didn't seem to matter if he nursed at all or for 20 minutes (and I knew he was getting quite a bit of milk), he STILL took ALL of what we offered him from a bottle. My husband's theory on this, which the NICU nurses and his pediatrician said could very well be the case, was that because he was tube-fed for so long and even when he was bottle fed in the NICU he was still given what he didn't take from the bottle by tube, he didn't know how to really self-regulate his intake to stop when he was full. I think this was true for a while, but he has learned to regulate himself better now. So don't feel like your baby isn't getting milk from you if she's still taking a bottle after. We also found my little guy needed to suck a lot, so we'd give him a soothie pacifier, which he had while in NICU. Oh, and while he was nursing, I did breast compressions to help "empty" my breasts. Doing that also kept him nursing and not just hanging out. If I were you, I'd stop the baby from nursing after like 20-30 minutes. Have you tried without the nipple shield?

Owen's weight gain was always really good - even while dropping bottles. We went slow at first with dropping bottles, so maybe that's why. As soon as I was comfortable that he would latch and nurse most of the time, I dropped all the bottles. And he gained fine then too. On average your baby should gain between 4-8 oz a week. How has her weight gain been so far?

It's a hard thing to do really, but it is possible and is awesome when it finally happens. I talked to a lot of people, Doctors and Lactation Consultants and took everything into account and then did what felt right with us. But I remember feeling overwhelmed and confused as to how to do this. You'll get there.

Let us know if you have more questions!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Re: my 35 weeker...approaching EDD

Wow, you are seriously a pro with this matter. What a blessing!!! I have spent the past 9 hours BFing, and he has so far only taken 5 ounces from a bottle. Which is awesome for him. How long of a process was it to get you LO off the bottle all together? Also, I and baby are pretty exhausted, would you think it would be ok for us to break from BFing for the remainder of the night, or would that be setting us back?

Congrats on more nursing and less bottles! I know I'm late in responding to this - how did the night go? It's hard to say if doing bottles during the night is going to set you back. You probably have to get up during the night to pump, right? By the time Owen came home from the NICU I was pumping late at night and then early morning, with a break during the night. So I did have my husband just give him a bottle for one feeding a night so I didn't have to get up so much and I would try to nurse him for the other night-time feedings. Eventually, I switched to nursing him during the night, with no bottles, because it meant less awake time for all of us. I totally get what you mean, it's a transition so don't worry if you're doing a few bottles at night for a bit.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Erin - how's it going today? That is awesome that you were able to bf more & bottlefeed less. I decided yesterday evening that I would try bf'ing for 20-30 mins before following up with a bottle. If she doesn't latch well then I try it with the nipple shield. She sometimes latches without the shield, sometimes needs the shield.

Jennie - thanks so much for answering us and giving us hope! I was ready to give up, but you've given me some direction, so I know I can hang in there a little longer! My lo spent 28 days in NICU; she came home on May 28th (so, she's been home 5 weeks now - wow, that seems like a long time!) She came home at a gestational age of 34 1/2 weeks. Her EDD is tomorrow (July 5th).

Sarah

Hello ladies...things are going okay over here. I may have encountered a set back as I've only tried BFing once since last night. I'm tired, and I know its not a good reason, but I just needed a break. I'm at my parents' house now, so I'm hoping that my mom can be some support to me. It still sort of seems like its an impossible task, and that we will never actually this down. But starting tomorrow I will be back and ready to BF all day. My mom told me that if I'm not in the mind set to do it, that it wont be successful, which I totally believe. Sarah - my babies EDD was July 5 as well. He came home from NICU at 35 1/2 weeks. God bless you for you dedication. We CAN get this!!!! Jennie - I love you. You have been the support and help I have needed to even get this far. Thank you both SO much. Happy 4th!!

Keep up the good work ladies! It is hard but soooo rewarding. I'm always happy to help others out who are in similar situations - I have received so much great advice and help on this site over the past year and a half. Keep us updated, I'll be thinking of you.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Going good, question about pumping

Ok, so my lo took about 4 feedings by breast today (yay!) and seemed content. She spits up a lot, and so I know she was getting breastmilk because she spit up quite a bit after every meal (not typically a good thing, I know, but at least I know she was getting milk!) With all the nursing going on, I didn't do much pumping. My plan is to bottlefeed thru the night & follow up with pumping, because nighttime is the only time I can stay on schedule. My question is: how long do I need to continue pumping after nursing is going good? If she transitions to 100% breast, is it ok to stop pumping? I think I'd have to do this gradually since I tend to get clogged ducts easily. For now, is it OK to do 1-2 pumpings during the day & then do most of my pumping at night when I bottlefeed?
    Sarah, homeschooling mom to 3 girls
    8yo fullterm & bf'd for almost 2 yrs
    6yo born @ 29 weeks, bottlefed expressed breastmilk for 9mths
    Newborn born @ 30 weeks, bottlefed expressed breastmilk & trying to bf.

Hi! :wave

Can you decrease the amount you are giving at bottle time, rather than eliminating altogether? You can do this! It takes a lot of work, but it WILL pay off, and preemies need the boost breastmilk gives them even more! Great job, Mama!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Going good, question about pumping

Ok, so my lo took about 4 feedings by breast today (yay!) and seemed content. She spits up a lot, and so I know she was getting breastmilk because she spit up quite a bit after every meal (not typically a good thing, I know, but at least I know she was getting milk!) With all the nursing going on, I didn't do much pumping. My plan is to bottlefeed thru the night & follow up with pumping, because nighttime is the only time I can stay on schedule. My question is: how long do I need to continue pumping after nursing is going good? If she transitions to 100% breast, is it ok to stop pumping? I think I'd have to do this gradually since I tend to get clogged ducts easily. For now, is it OK to do 1-2 pumpings during the day & then do most of my pumping at night when I bottlefeed?
    Hi Weepip. When we brought my daughter home from hospital, I was bottle feeding her EBM at night, ie; a feed about 8pm, 1am and 4am. Well my husband did those feeds, and I would express while he fed her. I found I expressed the greatest volume of milk in the wee small hours, as that's the time your body is rested and produces the most. I'd probably express about 4-5 times a day, mostly in the night/morning time, as your supply naturally drops in the afternoon/evening. This is the time I'd get her to cluster feed.

We kept up this bottle fed EBM until she started sleeping longer at night, and would only wake once, then we went to fully breastfed, and I stopped the expressing at that point.

Default Re: Going good, question about pumping

I'm thinking you could just pump when she's getting a bottle. However, if you are feeding her on one side per feeding, but were used to pumping both sides at the same time, you might need to pump a little off the side she's not nursing from so you're not getting clogged ducts/mastitis. You want to keep up your supply and stay comfortable to avoid problems. It will be easiest on your body to decrease the pumping slowly and gradually. Keep in mind the idea of pumping is to "replace" a nursing session - but your body might need time to adjust to nursing vs. pumping. Does that make sense?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months