Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my 35 weeker...approaching EDD

Question my 35 weeker...approaching EDD

I'm completely frustrated and am about to give up with BFing all together. I know this website will encourage me to keep going, and I need all the support I can get! My baby was born at 35 weeks and spent a week in the NICU. During our stay in the NICU he was able to latch on and suck on his own, although I'm not sure he actually swallowed anything. I have been trying several times a day since we have come home from the hospital to get him to BF. We are at the point right now that he will latch on, suck, and I think swallow for as long as I will let him. I am using a nipple from the bottles he uses in order for him to latch on easier, and it appears to be working just fine. The problem I am facing is that he will eat until I make him stop, which leads me to believe that he isnt actually eating much at all. We either stop a BFing session after 30 mins (and then I offer a bottle) or when he falls asleep. I had initially offered him only 2 ounces after a feeding (he bottle-feeds up to 5 ounces at a time) but he will then fuss until I give him more. If he falls asleep while BFing, I can wake him up, but he is no longer interested in BFing, and will then wake up in 10 mins fussy. I will take any suggestions I can get, as of right now, it seems like BFing isnt really doing either of us any good. I'm still pumping my life away, and when we try BFing, it just adds more time into the process. I really really want this to work. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: my 35 weeker...approaching EDD

PS - his due date was supposed to bein 2 days

This is really hard. And I know it may not be exactly what you're hoping to hear, but you need to keep working at it and give him some more time. I know it's hard to nurse/try to, pump, bottle feed but you can get him to switch over. I've never heard of using a bottle nipple over your nipple so I'm not sure about that. I used a nipple shield for a while with my son and my understanding is the nipple shield can help preemies latch on easier, especially when they are also taking bottles, but they do slow the flow of milk - maybe that's why he's taking so long at each nursing session? Although 30 minutes is just what some kids do.

A couple things - maybe you do them, but nurse him skin-to-skin. Take him off to burp him and then put him back on. How is his weight and weight gain? 5 oz bottles seem like a lot for his age. Can you rent a baby scale and weigh him before and after each nursing? I rented one from a local pharmacy but I saw that Target has them for sale now. This was really helpful in getting an idea of how my son was nursing. If his weight gain is good, maybe you could slowly cut out giving him bottles and then he might be more inclined to nurse more often.

Have you seen a lactation consultant (IBCLC is best)? Do you have specific issues with his latch that we might be able to offer help with?

I'll try to briefly share my story - my son was born at 29 weeks 6 days. He was in the NICU for almost 2 months. We hardly nursed while he was there, but I pumped like crazy. When he came home, I tried to nurse him before giving him a bottle and it was so hard and time consuming - try to nurse, bottle feed and pump. Ugh! I rented a baby scale and weighed before and after feedings and kept track. We had weight checks at the Dr's and I talked to them about how to decrease bottles. They weren't all that helpful in that. I worked with lactation consultants. I decided I would decrease bottles and offer to nurse him more often. This was when nursing picked up for us. After a few weeks of nursing becoming more consistent, I stopped all but 2 bottles (which weren't full feedings, just enough to mix with vitamins). I weighed him each night and kept track. When he was hungry, I nursed him - it was work - sometimes we didn't get it and I just tried again shortly after. BUT, he learned to nurse better as he got older and as he got less bottles. He was home for about 6 weeks when we were completely off bottles. My point is, you can do this! And it is best for you and your baby!
    Last edited by @llli*jenniebean5; July 2nd, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

This is really good advice, and it also gives me hope that we can do this. I feel like we are so close to perfecting this, and life will be so much easier once we do (my mom keeps telling me to think of it as an investment for the future months without bottles and pumps). I have a few more questions. When you say skin-to-skin, does that mean nursing baby in his diaper only? Dumb question, but I dont know! His weight is awesome. He was born weighing 6 pounds 7 ounces, and at his 3 week check up, he weighed 7 pounds 2 ounces. I spoke with a LC, and she offered suggestions, which I tried, but I think I need to go see her in person for more hands on help. The main problem I have is that my baby will scream bloody murder if a feeding is started and he is hungry and he doesnt get full. He is either starving or full, there is no in between for him. I tried an entire day of only giving him 1 oz before BFing, BFing, and then 1 oz after, and I spent the majority of the day comforting him as he screamed. I know he can BF, he is eager to BF, and I am eager to have him BF, and we are so close...yet so far!

Skin-to-skin means your baby is in his diaper and you are naked from the waist up so he's against your skin.

And I totally know what you mean about either being starving or full. I felt like that with Owen for a while. I kept looking for "hunger cues" and he just wasn't giving them to me. He would be fine or crying and nothing in between. It took a while, but he did start giving the typical hunger cues. Maybe until your son is giving them to you, try nursing him often - like every 1.5-2hours so that you can nurse him before he is crying from being hungry. If he's calm and not starving, he might be more likely to nurse. He might just be so hungry and impatient waiting for your let down so he can get some milk. Babies that are bottle-fed - they can be impatient at the breast because it takes a little work at the breast but it just comes out right away and fast with a bottle. You could also try a slow-flow nipple on the bottle so it's a little more similar to your breast.

With Owen, I just finally said one day that I was just done with bottles and just nursed him really often. I kept him in just a diaper and I was naked from the waist up and I wore him in a Moby Wrap (http://www.mobywrap.com/t-mobywrap.aspx) like this at home. It made a huge difference for us. The more I held him in the Moby Wrap, the more milk I made, and the quicker I learned about him. It's nice too because I could be completely hands-free to take care of my 2 year old while he was on me.

I would try to make an appt. with a lactation consultant so she can help you with his latch. The bottle nipple on your nipple might be slowing the flow down and frustrating him. Is your baby able to latch onto your nipple or are you always putting the bottle nipple on?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Thank you so much for your advice! I think the best idea is to feed him before he gets hungry. I will try that today and see if it helps at all. The moby wrap is also a very good idea. I will look into that as well. He has a hard time latching on to me on his own. I dont know if my nipples are too big, or maybe too flat, but we have a hard time syncing with that part. I will also try using a nipple shield, we used it before and it worked, it was just messy, which is why I stopped. Thanks again for the help. Wish us luck!!

Hi mama. Congrats on your LO!

You've gotten really good advice from Jen, so I will just add some s and you can do it!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

If you think your nipples are too flat, you could pump just a little before trying to latch him on because it will draw them out a little. Another thing you could do is - using the opposite hand of the side you are going to feed him on, hold him by the base of his head for support and bring him towards your breast and with the other hand, put your thumb at the top of your areola and your pointer finger at the bottom of your areola and kind of squeeze - it kind of "sandwiches" your nipple and makes it easier for new nurslings to latch on. I had to do this with my son for about 2 months to help him latch on - sometimes holding my breast like that the entire time he nursed or he would fall off.

I wish you all the best mama! I think it's awesome that you're putting the work into this now - your mom is right, it's a great investment! Keep us updated and let us know if you have any more questions!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Jen, more questions for you:)

Piggybacking on this post - Jennie, I have a similar situation to the op & have some questions...

At first, as you cut out bottles, did feedings blend into each other? When I tried a nippleshield feeding, it lasted 1 hour & she still took her regular 2 oz bottle afterwards. I know she gets some milk because she had some milk dripple from the side of her mouth. Also, if your feedings did blend together, how on earth did you pump in between?

Did weight gain slow, stop, or drop while you built feeding endurance/strength? If so, did you just keep going, or did you slow down a bit & increase bottles during the transition?

How do you know when to back off of these attempts a bit, or to go full throttle? I guess I'm still trying to discern the process (can you tell I need a formula to follow and a full step by step handbook? LOL). Thanks!
    Sarah, mom to...
    A (8 yo full term, breastfed for almost 2 yrs)
    Z (6 yo born 29 weeks, expressed breastmilk by bottle for 9mths)
    G (born 30 weeks, EDD July 5th, expressed breastmilk by bottle & trying to bf)

Default Re: Jen, more questions for you:)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*weepip View Post
    Piggybacking on this post - Jennie, I have a similar situation to the op & have some questions...

At first, as you cut out bottles, did feedings blend into each other? When I tried a nippleshield feeding, it lasted 1 hour & she still took her regular 2 oz bottle afterwards. I know she gets some milk because she had some milk dripple from the side of her mouth. Also, if your feedings did blend together, how on earth did you pump in between?

This. So far we have been feeding all morning long, with no breaks. He has finally (dont want to jinx myself) calmed down and is resting right now. How do you know how long to leave him at your breast for? I feel like he'd sit there all day if I let him, and probably not actually eat much, and then he would realize he was hungry and start screaming and I wouldnt have pumped any yet. Thank goodness for this support network. Its been wonderful already.