Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to pump

Default How to pump

My little guy is 5 weeks old and I need to start building a stash for when I go back to work.

A few people told me to pump first thing in the morning AFTER his morning feeding. Some people said to wait 45 minutes after the feeding others have said to wait 20 minutes. So how long do I wait

My little guy eats from one breast at a time and so I need to know when I pump after his AM feeding, do I pump from the breast that he just ate, the opposite breast or both.

Thanks ladies

Default Re: How to pump

This is what I do. I have already returned to work and I pump at work but I also will still pump sometimes on weekends after the nursing sessions as to keep a good stash or to even donate to others who can't make enough. He only eats on one side in the morning. After he is done, he will fall back asleep and then I pump on both sides. The side from which he just ate will usually just give me a tiny bit that's left in there but the other gives me a great amount. Then later when he nurses in the later part of the morning, he will nurse on both sides and I will still pump both sides after he is done and I may only get 1/2 to 3/4 ounce on each side at that point because it's all that's left. But you will be surprised how fast that can build up and it's so nice just to have a bit extra. I do that each time he eats throughout the weekend, if I am at home. If I am out, I just nurse and don't worry about the pumping out the excess part. When i pick him up from the sitter, if he has just eaten, I will pump all that I have just as we get home because I know that i will produce enough by the time he is ready to eat again. the more you pump, the more you'll make.

If you can wait 45 minutes, you will have more milk. And if you are trying to build up a stash, pumping for 5 minutes after your milk stops flowing will tell your body to make more milk because the "baby" is still "hungry". It will take a few days, but if you keep pumping every day at the same time you will start making more and more at that time. I would pump both breasts, because the stimulation to each will help the other one with letdown, etc.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    If you can wait 45 minutes, you will have more milk. And if you are trying to build up a stash, pumping for 5 minutes after your milk stops flowing will tell your body to make more milk because the "baby" is still "hungry". It will take a few days, but if you keep pumping every day at the same time you will start making more and more at that time. I would pump both breasts, because the stimulation to each will help the other one with letdown, etc.
    Yes, yes, yes!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post

Do you mean at around the same time or at the exact same time.... I ask because sometimes his morning feeding is 7:30 or 8:30 and maybe sometimes 9....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaylabfjackmay09 View Post
    Do you mean at around the same time or at the exact same time.... I ask because sometimes his morning feeding is 7:30 or 8:30 and maybe sometimes 9....

Thanks
    Approximately the same time; I would base it more on when you wake up and you feed your LO than the clock. If you are adding a session (about 45ish minutes) after your LO's morning feeding every day, your body will know that there are 2 morning feedings even if some days they start a little later. (That's what I did, anyway - on days that DS slept in, I wasn't about to get up earlier than I had to!)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

Gotcha

Okay quick question..

I start pumping in the AM on Friday.. Now I notice that my breast are not nearly as full through-out the day as they normally are.. That engorment is gone. As much as I am not complaining (that shizz hurts) I am wondering if now I have enough milk for Jack?

I ask because now my boobs are not full and normally he would eat for 20 minutes and yesterday all his feedings were 10 minutes and he was a little fussy.

This can be totally unrelated or related..

If you are pumping close (within 30 minutes) of his feedings, he could be frustrated by not having quite the volume of milk he expects at the beginning of a feeding. But he's about 2mo now, right? Around 6-8 weeks-ish is when your body regulates your production so that you are making just the right amount of milk; you will begin to feel less full and will probably only feel "full" from now on if you go too long between feedings/pumpings.