Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk showers

Default milk showers

AMongst other problems. Can anyone relate to me on this? OALD and showering / spraying milk for about 30 seconds to a minute after let down.

Doese it ever end? How do you handle this in public? Someone told me before to go into a restroom and let my let down spray before feeding....BUT, the catch is GETTING let down. I can't do it with out his help. Any tricks you care to share?

Default Re: milk showers

After you let down just covering your breast with a burp cloth and letting it spray in there. I, unfortunately haven't come up with a more creative solution. I usually can't elicit let down any more (I used to just *think* it and start spraying when I had oversupply in the early months) without baby sucking first. And the bathroom "trick" also doesn't work cause by the time I get back to baby and she latches on the milk has stopped, so I'll let down all over again! My LO is almost 9 months and we still deal with the OALD, even though my supply has "normalized" (regulated to baby's actual needs).
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; September 6th, 2006 at 11:26 AM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

How old is ds?

He's 6 weeks old

Mine is 6 weeks too and I have the same problem, but now it is only on the right hand side as the left has decided to calm down. I do the same thing, having a burp cloth close to hand and when let down comes, baby usually pulls away as he cant cope with flow and I cover my nipple with the cloth until the flow slows. It can be a nightmare trying to do this dicreetly in public, but I am starting to get the hang of it (I usually sit as far away from people as possible and facing away from them). yesterday I had to wait over a minute before I stopped squirting!

I have joked about squirting the milk into someones coffee on the other side of the cafe...

Katy

Are you having trouble with the other side spraying while ds is nursing? If so, you can just apply gentle pressure to that side/nipple as the letdown occurs. You are just at 6 weeks, so things are at the point where they should start to settle down. Most moms find that this little "problem" lessens at this point. If not, let us know!

I noticed when I nurse him more frequently, especially at his nighttime cluster feeding, I don't have an issue with spraying. So that's good. But durring theday, and his middle of the night feeds are a wet nightmare. It's both sides. I thought for a few days he had gotten the hang of it and quit choking, but he's doing it again. Coming off gagging, liquid sounding breathing, it's awfull . Let down has always hurt, I'm not sure if it's associated with small breasts to begin with. Maybe they're not used to this, they still get so full (Though there's no complaint there, I love having the cleavage!) and leak and spray <sigh>.

He'll be 8 weeks tuesday. Wow time flies! I do hope you're right about it settling down durring this time. It's just so embarassing to me, especially since I'm in public a lot with my toddler too.

I Did find a nighttime way of keeping it easy. I take my breastpad out and stick it to Blake on his chest. When let down comes I just spray into it, since it's right there under his chin. He's learned to wait patiently, and not scream and cry so that's good. I guess he knows he's going to get fed after mommy fixes her problem <smile>