Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On the fence here

Default Re: On the fence here

So tonight I let him nurse for bed very quickly, just a few minutes. Then I just held him.. and he was perfectly fine. He wanted my arms all the way around and a tight snuggle, but it didn't bother him to not nurse and just cuddle instead for the most part.

I *think* I'm not ready to give it up yet though.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

This is a special time for both of you - it's not just for you! If you're looking purely at emotional/bonding benefits, he is clearly still getting emotional benefit from it. Aside from that, I wouldn't underestimate the continued immunological and nutritional benefits. You might be surprised at how much milk he is still getting, and I remember reading that the nutrients actually become more concentrated later in lactation.
    My tandem nursing perspective...
    I know some of the tandem mamas have had to deal with a toddler wanting to nurse all the time once baby comes, but I personally did not have much of a problem with that. I tend to think that your situation might be closer to mine given the fact that he is already down to a couple of sessions per day (similar to my DD1 when DD2 was born).
    In that vein, I loved tandem nursing, especially at the beginning. DD1 and I still had those few minutes each day to reconnect even though she wasn't my "baby" anymore, which can be a tough transition for both mama and child. Also, DD1's nursing totally relieved my engorgement and probably helped keep me from getting mastitis again (like I did with both DS and DD1 within the first 2 weeks of their lives). Also, IDK how related this was but I had no problems with nipple pain or damage, which I also had major problems with DS and DD1 at first. Overall, TN has been a hugely positive experience for me.
    Good luck with your decision!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Being pregnant and thinking of weaning is hard. Today I'm feeling like I'm going to just let it go and allow him to nurse when he wants. No pushing. He only nurses 2-3 times a day, I love it... he loves it. Why change, right?

This is so bad.. But I feel like I'm not qualified to TN for some reason.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

If I could go back to my pregnancy with Lucy, I would try harder to establish one or two consistent nursing sessions for Daniel. Ones that he would hang on to after she was born. I miss nursing him so badly, it aches. But reading tandem Mamas struggles, I would try to make the sessions certain times of day like "only for bedtime and naptime" or something clearly defined.

You'll make the right choice for your family
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Being pregnant and thinking of weaning is hard. Today I'm feeling like I'm going to just let it go and allow him to nurse when he wants. No pushing. He only nurses 2-3 times a day, I love it... he loves it. Why change, right?

This is so bad.. But I feel like I'm not qualified to TN for some reason.
    Why? Funny, when I first got pg with DD2 I said I would try to wean DD1 before she was born, but after a while when we were down to 1-2 times per day, I changed my mind and thought, why wean completely when this is working so well for us?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    If I could go back to my pregnancy with Lucy, I would try harder to establish one or two consistent nursing sessions for Daniel. Ones that he would hang on to after she was born. I miss nursing him so badly, it aches. But reading tandem Mamas struggles, I would try to make the sessions certain times of day like "only for bedtime and naptime" or something clearly defined.

You'll make the right choice for your family
    That's basically what we did.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on