Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping feeding before bed- 13 mos old

Default Dropping feeding before bed- 13 mos old

My 13 mos old is down to nursing right before bed and I'm trying to figure out how to drop that last session. I've enjoyed breastfeeding him but am ready to be done for personal reasons. His bedtime routine is to sit on my lap and brush his teeth while I read him some stories. Then he nurses. Often he doses off nursing. I take him to his room, do a diaper change, put him in his pj's then in his crib. He's been going to sleep on his own since about 5-6 mos old although quiet often lately he'll still be asleep thru all this from when he dosed off nursing.

DH hasn't been involved in putting him to bed since winter time. DS would cry and DH couldn't work thru it. So it's on me every night. Now DS is cognizant enough that when he's done brushing his teeth and reading he throws toothbrush and book on the floor, turns around and demands to nurse. Is there a way to change the routine up and drop this feeding w/o it being totally stressful for the whole family?

Default Re: Dropping feeding before bed- 13 mos old

I'm bummed so many people have looked at my post, but no one has any input yet. I guess I'm just going to have to take the plunge and figure things out as we go. I'd still be interested in comments if anyone has any?

Could you try doing the bedtime routine in a different spot? Not sure if you've tried that, but if you always do teeth/books/nurse in one place, he'll probably associate that place with nursing too.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

I'm not there yet Mama, so I don't know what to suggest. 13 months is still young to reason with them like limiting to the time it takes to sing twinkle twinkle three times, then slowly cutting down the time. In a few months, he'd probably understand more.

Maybe offer a sippy with CM? Or a special treat instead of nursing?

Sorry I'm not much help Mama. I hope you find a solution that works for your family.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thanks ladies- I guess tonight is the night. We're off to Grandma's house and hopefully that will mix things up for him enough so he doesn't think about nursing. **Fingers crossed** I'm having very mixed emotions right now

Good luck!
    SAHM to Micah born 6-29-08 and Naomi born 10-17-10.

how did it go...

I did the singing twinkle twinkle thing and it worked for me, but my daughter was 19 mos at the time.

Maybe just mixing up the routine, doing thigns in a different order would work?

How did it go at grandma's house?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Well, we ended up having to come back from Grandma's earlier than expected. So we just did the routine at home. It went remarkable well! He stayed up quite a bit later and when he was tired I just put him in his pj's and sang to him. THen he pointed to his crib. I gave him a kiss and laid him down and he went to sleep! I went downstairs and cried for a few minutes but feel good that we've made the right decision.

yeah glad it went well.