Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I know when I'm getting hind milk out of the breast?

Default How do I know when I'm getting hind milk out of the breast?

I'm a new mommy of a 5 wk old dd. I'm bf but I'm trying to deal with OALD/OS. When I bf without pumping first, my milk will spray out everywhere. I'm doing the block feeding, but since I am not "using" the other breast, it gets hard and uncomfortable. So, in the meantime I'll pump just until it becomes comfortable and I'll store that milk. I'll get about 2-3 oz during those pumps. I don't want to empty that breast because I'm afraid I'll increase my supply even more.My questions are: is that milk that I pump to get comfortable any good or is just the foremilk? How can you tell the difference between the foremilk & hindmilk? I've noticed that when I manually express my milk by squeezing the breast, there are 2-3 streams of spray and some that will drip out at the same time. Normal? Please help.
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; July 1st, 2009 at 07:26 PM.

Default Re: How do I know when I'm getting hind milk out of the breast?

Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance usually results in reflux like symptoms in babies (gassiness, fussiness) and green poops, sometimes frothy. It sounds like you are managing - eventually your milk supply will even out some. I wish I had more info for you.

www.kellymom.com has great info on it if you search the site.

I too have the spray/drip combination so I would guess we are both normal in that respect.

Sounds like you are normal, other than having a bit of OALD, which is pretty common. You are dealing with it in exactly the right way. Block feeding and pumping just enough to relieve engorgement. The milk you are pumping is fine to give, even if it is mostly foremilk. As long as you are also nursing him frequently, an occasional bottle of mostly foremilk shouldn't create any big problems. If you notice symptoms in him of foremilk-hindmilk imbalance, you might hold off on giving him the bottles, though. Green frothy poops and excessive gassiness are the main indicators.

You're doing great! Keep up the good work.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you very much for the information. Being a first time bf mommy is quite overwhelming:. I'm pretty sure I'll have more questions in the near future.

I've been breasfeeding (and pumping at work) for my 10 month old and I didn't even know that there was such a thing called foremilk or hindmilk? I just thought breast milk is all good stuff? Anyway.. my DS used to sleep through the night from 9pm-5am, but for the past couple of weeks, he has been waking up between 2-4am to nurse. He sleeps in his own room/crib so when he is up crying, DH will get him and bring him to our bed. He ends up sleeping with me as I fall asleep nursing, I sometimes try to stay awake so I can put him back in his room, but most of the time, I just let him sleep with us because I've been so tired. When DS figgets or moves, he just looks for my breast and then he would suck for a few minutes and then fall asleep. It seems like he just wants to fall asleep at my boob! When I lay him down at 9pm, he is awake but really tired. I would nurse him from 8:15pm up until he is falling asleep. I'm getting so tired and I'm considering throwing in the towel for breastfeeding, at the same time, I've come this far already.. not sure what to do. Another thing I'm struggling with is lack of milk when I pump during the day, besides fenugrek and oatmeal, what else can I do to increase supply? i'm pumpping 3 times at 30 minutes each time already. Luckily I have my own office and I've mastered the skill to type and pump at the same time. sorry for the ranting! but I'm hoping someone out there can relate to my situtation. Thanks.
    for 6 months!! juggling working and , enjoying