Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Funny taste- is it still good?

Question Funny taste- is it still good?

My husband bottle feeds our baby pumped BM in preparation for me going to work. Anyway, he occasionally tastes the milk to see if it is the right temperature, but he says that sometimes after it's been in the fridge for a day after pumping, it has a bad taste and he tosses it.

Is the bad taste after a day or two in the fridge really an indication that it's gone bad, or is it just the nature of it being unpasteurized? I know it's supposed to last 7 days in the fridge, but after a few days it gets the funny taste, so is it bad?
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Default Re: Funny taste- is it still good?

Hmm funny taste doesn't mean it's bad, you might have an issue with lipase. If it's bad bad it's usually rancid, like really gross.
    If you do have maybe a slight issue with lipase it's not bad for your baby to drink, you might try to offer her the bottle. You can scald it to prevent it from breaking down, whatever you do, don't pitch it!

Here's the lipase thread http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=lipase

please define the bad taste... soapy, metallic? other?

and perhaps check the lipase thread.

other things to consider are is your fridge at the right temperature? Are all your bottles etc. really clean prior to putting milk in there?

It doesn't taste soapy or metallic. I read the lipase thread and it doesn't sound like our issue.

Here's the deal (sorry I wasn't more descriptive before): My daughter takes the bottle without any issue. She doesn't refuse it. However, my husband tastes it before each feeding to make sure she doesn't get super hot or bad milk. A few times, he thought it was bad because it tasted like old milk. It just has an aftertaste that tastes like old milk. This is after only 1 or 2 days in the fridge. He compared it with freshly expressed milk and he says that it doesn't have the taste. Basically, he says, the older the milk, the more "old" it tastes. It's not rancid, but it has an unpleasant aftertaste. No soapy. No metallic. Just "old" tasting.

So, just as he would taste old tasting cow's milk that we would drink, he tosses the old tasting BM. I think our fridge is pretty cool/cold, because this certainly doesn't happen to any of our other food products.

Should we just give it to her if we know it's not past 5 or so days in the fridge unless it stinks?
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

IME, my milk was sweet for the first 24 hours or so, and then it tasted a little "old" (but not soapy/metallic/lipase/etc). Just less sweet, with a but of an aftertaste - sounds just like yours, actually. DS never had a problem with it, and the LLLeader I showed it to said that it was just fine. I would DEFINITELY not toss it out unless it was rancid - that stuff takes so much work to make!!!

ETA: That's how my thawed milk always tasted, too, even if it was frozen right away. Again, DS never had a problem with it.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Oh I get ya now. Please tell him to stop throwing out your good milk!! It's still good, it's not like that stuff grows on trees.

How about he just tests it on his wrist and quits tasting it! It's good in the fridge for 8 days and that's a conservative time frame. Two or three days is fine.

my mother is the same. I once came home to find she'd chucked out about 2 pints of perfectly good breastmilk (about 2.5 days' worth) because it tasted "odd". Turns out I'd had a couple of curries and some kippers (smoked fish) which I do on a regular basis) and some of the taste had leaked through. My DS doesn't bat an eyelid at the taste of anything I eat but she'd freaked. As did I

Agree - he should test it on the inside of the wrist and if the bairn drinks it is OK and don't worry
    Last edited by @llli*cauda; July 5th, 2009 at 03:27 PM.