Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to Pumping-Many Q's

Question New to Pumping-Many Q's

My baby is 4 weeks old and I now need to start pumping to build a supply of stored milk for when I return to work, not to mention so I can get out of the house once in a while. My baby only nurses from one breast per feeding, so my plan is to nurse her on one side, pump the other side, and then the next time she nurses do the opposite. This way each breast will be nursed the same amount and pumped the same amount.

Questions-

Is this the right approach?

If I pump in this way all day, do I have to do it at night too? I really don't like the idea of having to wake up at night to pump. I'd rather just nurse and put her back to bed. But will I be engorged in the morning?

I pumped for the first time today, and when I went to nurse the baby, I felt like my breasts were sort of empty and I feared there wasn't enough there for her to eat. Is this common when you start pumping?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME!

Default Re: New to Pumping-Many Q's

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy68 View Post
    My baby is 4 weeks old and I now need to start pumping to build a supply of stored milk for when I return to work, not to mention so I can get out of the house once in a while. My baby only nurses from one breast per feeding, so my plan is to nurse her on one side, pump the other side, and then the next time she nurses do the opposite. This way each breast will be nursed the same amount and pumped the same amount.

Questions-

Is this the right approach?

If I pump in this way all day, do I have to do it at night too? I really don't like the idea of having to wake up at night to pump. I'd rather just nurse and put her back to bed. But will I be engorged in the morning?

I pumped for the first time today, and when I went to nurse the baby, I felt like my breasts were sort of empty and I feared there wasn't enough there for her to eat. Is this common when you start pumping?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME!

Hi Mama-Yes this is the approach many women use. At this point I'dlook more to slowly building up a freezer stash for when you return to work rather than for if you go out. If you go out you will have to pump for the missed feeding anyway. What I did was to build up a freezer stash slowly by pumping for about 10 mins after most feedings. It was slow going but LO ususlly was sleeping when he finished so it was the best time for me.

You really don't have to be concerned with doing EXACTLY the same amt of time on each side just do the best you can. Unless you're going back to work next week or something you dont have to pump at night, you just slowly build your stash little by little.

Your breast will never be empty so I would worry about that however if you can try to nurse before pumping. Also keep in mind that as your body regulates milk production you will not regularly feel engorged; it's not that you're not making enough milk, it actually means that your body and your baby's needs are in sync.

GL

My son would only nurse from one breast at a time too. I pumped the other breast and stored that milk. By the time I returned to work after 3 1/2 months of leave I had a huge stash. I would try to nurse before pumping, it may take some extra effort, but you won't run out of milk. I still pump when im at work, so I recycle my freezer stash. You're doing GREAT!
    First time mom to baby Joshua (12/19/2008, 6lbs-0oz, 19 inches)
    I have no what I'm doing, but I'm doing my best
    I'm STILL at work, when I'm home, and .

We've made it 14 months .

If you want to nurse from one side and pump from the other that sounds like a good plan to me. Moms will often put in a night pumping session especially if they want to build their supply. Not sure if this is your case or not.