Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow letdown at night...

Default Slow letdown at night...

My dd is one year (yea, we made it!) and she nurses two times a night. But lately, my letdown takes forever for night feedings. I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. Is this normal? I am practically asleep, while trying to nurse at night. Does this affect letdown? She probably doesn't actually eat as much as she used to at night, and is feeding more for comfort, which is fine with me, but my letdown used to be much quicker at night. I don't have any problems during the day, just at night. Do I need to wake up more? Just curious if anyone can help me with this, thanks!

Sherri

Default Re: Slow letdown at night...

Congratulations for making it to one year! Here's to another.

My letdown has always been slow day and night. I'm not sure why you are only having a slow letdown at night now. Is your child complaining about the slow letdown at night? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. It might be just a phase your body is going through. The other thing I have to offer is that when my child was about 2, I stopped feeling the letdown reflex. How do you know you are having a slow letdown? Maybe it's fine, but you just aren't feeling it?

-Lauren

Hi Lauren,
    Thank you for your reply. She is not too upset about it, but some. She is usually pretty sleepy, but sometimes pulls off and cries because she knows. But most of the time she is fine. That is an interesting thought though about not feeling that letdown reflex anymore. I was wondering about that lately. I didn't know that could happen. Good to know, so I don't freak out if that is what is happening. Do you know why you would stop feeling that? Just curious. There have been times at night that she seems to nurse a bit and I swore I hadn't let down, but maybe I had?? I am sure that worrying about it doesn't help, and maybe I have gotten in a pattern of thinking/worrying about it too much.

I don't have a good explanation for this, but I've experienced the same thing for several months now. (we're at 17.5 months) Sometimes it seems to be correlated to the intensity of J's suckling - i.e., if he's actually HUNGRY vs when he is more comfort nursing to help sooth himself back to a sleepy state. I also tend to notice that this is more pronounce when I have PMS or am in day 1 of AF. The more I stress and tense about it when it's happening, the longer it takes for a letdown. If I take a few deep breaths and REALLY let my body relax, that actually helps. good luck!
    -linda

Thank you! I think this is what it is for me as well. How hard she is actually sucking. I think she wants milk but is so sleepy she isn't trying real hard, kwim? I know she's not that hungry sometimes. Thanks again for your input. It helps to know I am not the only one. :P

There is one other thing I have found helps when letdowns have been a little challening - although I mostly 'tested' this hypothesis with pumping and letdown issues..... Pee first!! It sounds crazy, but I almost think that trying to keep part of your body tensed to keep SOME fluids in makes it tougher to relax just the ones that you need to in order to let other fluids out! !!
    No real factual basis for this, just something I've noticed!!
    good luck....-linda

I really don't know why the reflex goes away. Most of my friends were shocked that I felt it for so long. They all lost that feeling when their children were under 12 months old. I haven't felt the reflex in a long time. But since Mez is old enough, I sometimes ask him if he got any milk. He always says yes. But I never see it dripping down his chin like I used to. I never see it in his mouth like I used to. But he says he is getting some. My thoughts are that it is a much smaller amount. Because I also don't see him swallowing hard like he used to. For a while I thought I stopped lactating. But I must still produce some milk. Plus I only ovulate every few months so that also tells me I am still producing. I try not to think about it. Even if I wasn't producing milk, I think it's important to still let him nurse until he weans himself. Anyway I think you are probably just losing the feeling that's all. Wow do I miss that feeling! It was so relaxing.

-Lauren